What is the Braking Force of a Car with No Friction?

In summary, the car's mass is 1000kg and it decelerates from 20m/s to rest in 5 seconds. Assuming no friction, the braking force of the car can be calculated using Newton's 2nd Law, which states that force is equal to mass multiplied by acceleration. The acceleration can be found by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time, which in this case is 4m/s^2. Therefore, the braking force of the car is 4000N.
XphysicsblurX
I need help with my Physics Homework!

A Car of mass 1000kg decelerates from 20m/s2 to rest in a time of 5 seconds. Calculate the braking force of the car, assuming that there is no friction.

Ans:
20 m/s2 / 5 seconds = 4m/s2
Force= ma= 1000 * 4 = 4000N

Can anyone explain this to me?

Physics news on Phys.org

Welcome to PF. :)
We're here to help you do your homework, not to do it for you. Please show your attempt at the solution first, or we won't help.

First make sure you got all the relevant data written down right.
Was the initial velocity of the car 20 m/s? (NOT m/s², those are the units of acceleration!)

Data:
Mcar = 1000 kg
Vi = 20 m/s
thalt = 5 s
Vf = 0 (The car breaks to a halt)

What formula do you know linking initial velocity, final velocity, and acceleration?
What formula do you know linking acceleration, mass and force?

4ms is acceleration .. the formula is vt=vo-at (if decelerates) after that you can multyplie with car mass 1000 kg (f=m.a)

Yes, I know the answer is 4000N, and the solution is there, I got the answer wrong in my test paper, I nned to know why the correct answer is 4000N.

The given solution was:
20 m/s divided by 5 seconds = 4m/s2
Force= ma= 1000 X 4 = 4000N

I need someone to explain step-by-step...

Starting with Newton's 2nd Law: F = ma = mass * acceleration. We know the mass obviously. The acceleration, however, for a constant force, is the change in velocity divided by the change in time, that is:

[tex]
\frac{{\Delta v}}{{\Delta t}} = \frac{{20m/s}}{{5s}} = 4m/s^2
[/tex]

Now to find the force, it's simply:

[tex]
F = ma = 1000kg*4m/s^2 = 4000N
[/tex]

1. What is the purpose of doing Physics homework?

The purpose of doing Physics homework is to reinforce and apply the concepts and principles learned in class. It helps students develop problem-solving skills and deepen their understanding of the subject.

2. How do I approach difficult Physics homework problems?

The first step is to thoroughly understand the problem and identify the key concepts involved. Then, use the relevant equations and principles to solve the problem step by step. It is also helpful to break the problem into smaller, more manageable parts.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when doing Physics homework?

Some common mistakes to avoid include not showing your work, not checking units and significant figures, and using incorrect formulas or equations. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem and double check your work for any errors.

4. How can I use online resources to help with my Physics homework?

There are many online resources available such as educational websites, forums, and tutorial videos that can provide additional explanations and examples for difficult concepts. However, it is important to use these resources as a supplement and not rely on them completely.

5. How can I stay motivated while doing Physics homework?

One way to stay motivated is to set specific goals for each homework assignment and reward yourself for completing them. It is also helpful to take breaks and engage in activities that you enjoy to avoid burnout. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or study group can also provide motivation and support.