What is a good subject for my first physics project?

In summary, Dur is seeking help with their physics project on torque and is looking for subjects and pictures to use in their project. They are a college student from Mississippi and are not familiar with mechanics. They were initially unsure of how to approach the project but have clarified that their subject is torque = arm lever x force (T=RF) and they are looking for guidance on finding suitable subjects and pictures. ZapperZ reminds them that they are not allowed to ask for answers or have others do the work for them, and suggests they first review their course materials before seeking specific help. Danger apologizes for any misunderstanding and offers to guide Dur if they encounter difficulties.
dur
Please if anyone can help me with my torque project. I need some subjects, and pecturs to finsh it. This is my first project to do, and I hope that well done. I look on the physic's site, but I afraid of any matter appropriately chosen.
Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, Dur. Unfortunately, there is a bit of a communications gap here. I don't quite understand what you mean by a 'torque project'. If it means what I think it does, then a simple manual transmission would be a logical approach. You can get all of the pictures and descriptions that you need from a shop manual.

Hi Danger, I have to do a project for my physic's professor, and my project about the torque, so I think I need some pectures, and a good subjects to make my project very good. I'm studying a College Physics . Danger, can you pease tell me here is the shop manual ?

I'm still not sure what it is that you're trying to accomplish. My impression is that you're dealing with torque multiplication through pulleys, gearing, etc.. That's why I suggested a manual transmission as an object of study.
A shop manual is a 'how-to' guide for mechanics, and is specific to a particular model or series of vehicles. Since I don't know where you live, I can't say as to where you can get one easily. Your local library or school auto mechanics shop might have one. In my case, I just borrow one from my mechanic and photocopy the pages that I need.
You could also go to 'How Stuff Works' (.com). They have an excellent section on how gears work.

Hi Danger, I'm trying to accomplish a physics project, and my subject is torque . Thees is the subject I have to work with it. I'm a college student ,and I live on Mississippi state (U.S.A). My subject not about the mechanics ,its about Torque= arm lever. force (T=RF).
I need some Torque's subjects, and pictures to paste it on my project poster.
Thank you

dur said:
Hi Danger, I'm trying to accomplish a physics project, and my subject is torque . Thees is the subject I have to work with it. I'm a college student ,and I live on Mississippi state (U.S.A). My subject not about the mechanics ,its about Torque= arm lever. force (T=RF).
I need some Torque's subjects, and pictures to paste it on my project poster.
Thank you

You should not be using PF this way. You're almost asking for us to do this work for you. It is STILL your project.

Narrow down what you want to do. Come up with some ideas. THEN if you don't understand any part of that idea, that is when you make use of PF and ask specific question.

Please read the https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=5374". Members here are NOT allowed to simply give out answers or do the work for students seeking help.

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dur, it appears that my misunderstanding of your problem cost you several hours of your project time. My apologies for that.
As ZapperZ pointed out, though, this is something that you have to try on your own. To start with, anything that you need to know should be in your course material. Review your textbooks and notes. If you hit serious snags in your understanding or practical approach, we can guide you. We can't do the work for you.

Hi ZapperZ, I'm not ask to do ma work, my question is how can I find the good subject to start doing my physics project...thank you

Hi danger, thank you
My regard

1. What is the purpose of your Torque project?

The purpose of my Torque project is to investigate the relationship between torque and rotational motion. Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate, and my project aims to understand how different factors such as force, distance, and mass affect this rotational motion.

2. How do you measure torque in your project?

In my project, torque is measured using a torque sensor or a force sensor and a lever arm. The force sensor measures the amount of force applied to the lever arm, while the lever arm acts as a distance arm to calculate the torque. The units of torque are typically expressed in Newton-meters (Nm) or foot-pounds (ft-lb).

3. What is the difference between torque and force?

Torque and force are related but distinct concepts in physics. Force is a push or pull acting on an object, while torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate. Force is typically measured in Newtons (N), while torque is measured in Newton-meters (Nm) or foot-pounds (ft-lb).

4. What are some real-life applications of torque?

Torque has many practical applications in everyday life. It is used in the design and function of tools such as wrenches, screwdrivers, and gears. Torque is also important in the operation of vehicles, from the engine to the wheels, as well as in sports such as baseball and golf.

5. How does torque relate to rotational motion?

Torque is directly related to rotational motion. When a force is applied to an object, torque is produced, causing the object to rotate. The magnitude and direction of the torque determine the speed and direction of the rotational motion. In simple terms, the greater the torque, the faster the object will rotate.