I with physics webassign dealing with vectors and force with spring.

In summary, the first problem involves calculating the angle between two vectors using a formula that relates the angle to the components of the vectors. The second problem involves finding the spring constant needed to bring a car to rest from a given speed and acceleration, using the equations v^2=vo^2+2a(x-xo) and F=-kx=ma. The initial velocity in the second problem was not squared, resulting in an incorrect answer.
kp87

Homework Statement

1) Calculate the angle between the following vectors.
A = 6.1 i + 4.6 j + 6.3 k and B = 8.2 i + 2.3 j - 7.0 k.

2) What should be the spring constant k of a spring designed to bring a 1320 kg car to rest from a speed of 116 km/h so that the occupants undergo a maximum acceleration of 5.0 g?

Homework Equations

v^2=vo^2+2a(x-xo)
F=-kx=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

1) For this one I don't know how to approach this so I found the force by multiplying it (6.1*8.2)i + (4.6*2.3)j+(6.3*-7.0)k = 16.5 N and I think I'm approaching this wrong.

2) I converted the speed 116 km/h = 31 m/s and 5.0g=49.05 m/s^2.
than used v^2=vo^2+2a(x-xo) to find the distance. x=(v^2-vo^2)/2a
x=31^2/(2*49.05)=9.7961. Next, used F=-kx=ma so k=ma/x, which is 1320*49.05/9.7961=6609.36 N/m and I don't know why this isn't working.

Physics news on Phys.org
1) Would multiplying two vectors necessarily result in a force? This problem can be assigned to any two vectors, regardless of what they represent - i'd suppose that you may have access to a formula in your notes that relates the angle between vectors and the components you have at your disposal. (Well, related to operations you perform on those components: the dot product)

For the second one, the equation involves the square initial and final velocities - you seem to have forgotten to square the 49ms^-2.

1) I did 16.5/sqrt((6.1^2+4.6^2+6.3^2)(8.2^2+2.3^2+(-7^2))=712.93
arccos(16.5/712.93)= 83.67 is that right??
2) 49.05 is the acceleration and the final velocity will be 0 so i squared the initial velocity which is 31

bump for help

1. What are vectors and how are they used in physics?

Vectors are mathematical quantities that have both magnitude and direction. In physics, they are used to represent physical quantities such as displacement, velocity, and force. Vectors are essential in understanding the motion and forces acting on objects in the physical world.

2. How does webassign help with understanding physics concepts?

Webassign is an online educational platform that provides interactive assignments and resources for learning physics. It offers practice problems, simulations, and tutorials to help students understand and apply physics concepts, including vectors and forces.

3. What is the relationship between force and spring in physics?

In physics, a spring is a type of elastic object that can be stretched or compressed by an external force. The force applied to a spring is directly proportional to its displacement, according to Hooke's Law. This relationship is used to measure the force applied to an object or the force required to stretch or compress a spring.

4. How do vectors and forces affect an object's motion?

Vectors and forces play a crucial role in determining the motion of an object. The direction and magnitude of a force applied to an object can cause it to accelerate or decelerate. Vectors are also used to represent the velocity of an object, which is the rate of change of its position over time.

5. Can webassign be used for more advanced physics topics?

Yes, webassign offers assignments and resources for a range of physics topics, including advanced topics such as electromagnetism, thermodynamics, and quantum mechanics. It is a versatile platform that can be used for introductory, intermediate, and advanced physics courses.