I with Ramp and Pulley Physics Problem

In summary: So, you would have to find the weight of the suspended objects and divide it by their respective pulley mass ratios. In summary, to find the tension in the cord connected to the 8.9 kg block, you need to calculate the total force on the 8.9 kg object and then subtract that from the weight of the object to find the tension.
spg93

Homework Statement

The suspended 2.2 kg mass on the right is
moving up, the 2 kg mass slides down the
ramp, and the suspended 8.9 kg mass on the
left is moving down. There is friction between
the block and the ramp.
The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2 . The
pulleys are massless and frictionless.
What is the tension in the cord connected
to the 8.9 kg block?
Answer in units of N.

(Diagram with variables: File posted and also at http://s1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd425/spg93/?action=view&current=Physics.jpg)

Homework Equations

Force of Friction= coefficient of friction*Normal Force
Force of Gravity= mass*gravity
Fx=mgcos28
Fy=mgsin28

The Attempt at a Solution

I really have no idea where to start. I drew a force diagram for all three boxes. I also solved for the Forces in X direction and forces in Y direction. I figured the forces in the Y direction would be the normal force, so I divided by the coefficient of friction to try and get force of friction. My answer did not work and I'm completely lost. Any help would be really appreciated.

Attachments

• Physics.JPG
    Physics.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 786
Physics news on Phys.org
Firstly, what is the total force on the 8.9kg object? That is the first thing you have to ask because you want to find the tension on that object. Also, because the 8.9 kg object is moving down, that means that total force is down. So, what is the total force? The total force is its weight minus the tension that makes it go up. The reason being that because 8.9kg is going down, its weight must be greater than its tension. Now, the question is, what is tension? Tension is, of course, is all the added force due to 2kg and 2.2kg objects because they are the only one that are pulling back.

1. What is the purpose of using a ramp and pulley in this physics problem?

The ramp and pulley are used in this physics problem to demonstrate the principles of mechanical advantage and work. The ramp allows for a smaller force to be used to lift a larger load, while the pulley reduces the amount of force needed to lift an object by distributing it over multiple ropes or cables.

2. How does the angle of the ramp affect the amount of force needed to lift an object?

The steeper the ramp, the greater the force needed to lift an object. This is because the force of gravity is acting more directly against the object on a steeper ramp, making it harder to overcome.

3. What factors affect the mechanical advantage of a pulley system?

The mechanical advantage of a pulley system is affected by the number of ropes or cables being used, as well as the number of times the rope/cable is wrapped around the pulley. The more ropes and wraps, the greater the mechanical advantage.

4. Can the ramp and pulley system be used to lift objects of any weight?

Yes, the ramp and pulley system can be used to lift objects of any weight. However, the amount of force needed to lift the object will vary depending on the weight and angle of the ramp, as well as the mechanical advantage of the pulley system.

5. Are there any real-world applications for the ramp and pulley system?

Yes, the ramp and pulley system has many real-world applications, such as in construction for lifting heavy materials, in elevators for lifting and lowering the elevator car, and in exercise equipment for resistance training. These systems are also commonly used in physics experiments to demonstrate and study the principles of work and mechanical advantage.