Finding Total Resistance in a Circuit: A Guide for Scientists

• Thread starter jafferrox
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistance
In summary, this circuit has two resistors in series and one in parallel. The parallel resistor is 25 ohms and the series resistor is 20 ohms. The total resistance is 17.5 ohms.
jafferrox
I don't know how to find the total resistance in the circuit I've attached.

Anybody please help me, Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• q1.jpg
    q1.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 450
Physics news on Phys.org
Look at the circuit for what share the same start and end nodes and what don't. Those that do share the same start and end nodes add in parallel and those that don't add in series. So the 2 ten ohm resistors on the very right are in series, but that 20ohm resistor adds in parallel to the total of the 2 ten ohm resistors added in series.

To get you started, the right hand "upper triangle" should look like this...

10 ohms + 10 ohms = 20 ohms

and 20*20/(20+20) = R total

(or.. 1/Rtotal = (1/20) + (1/20))

R total for that very right "upper triangle" being 10 ohms.

From quick rough working.. I got 17.5 ohms for the total of the circuit.

So, starting from right to left... I got.

10 ohms in parallel with 20 ohms.

This gave me 6.666667 ohms in parallel with another 20 ohms

which gave me 5 ohms, which is in series with 20 ohms.

This gives 25 ohms, which is now in parallel with 25 ohms.

This gives 12.5 ohms, which is now in series with the 5 ohm resistor, and totals 17.5 ohms.

I don't know if the 20 ohm resistor is parallel or series, the one i highlighted in the attachment.

thanks

Attachments

• q2.jpg
    q2.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 405
jafferrox said:
I don't know if the 20 ohm resistor is parallel or series, the one i highlighted in the attachment.

thanks

np! (Don't quote me as I'm only a third year college student haha, but I do quite well on electrical papers)

That depends, just start from right to left as I outlined in my post previously. And reduce the circuit down resistor by resistor.

That resistor though, is in series with the 5 resistors on the right as they don't share the same start and end nodes because of that 25 ohm resistor.

Last edited:
The answer is right man, thanks heaps for the help :)

:D

Excellent. I hope you learnt! Make sure you try see circuits as nodes rather than just the way they're orientated.

1. What is resistance?

Resistance is the measure of an object's ability to oppose an electric current. It is typically represented by the symbol R and is measured in ohms (Ω).

2. How does resistance affect electrical circuits?

Resistance can affect electrical circuits in various ways. It can limit the flow of current, causing a decrease in voltage and power. It can also generate heat, which can be both beneficial and detrimental depending on the application.

3. What factors determine the amount of resistance in a material?

The amount of resistance in a material depends on several factors, including its length, cross-sectional area, and temperature. Longer materials and those with smaller cross-sectional areas tend to have higher resistance, while higher temperatures can increase resistance in some materials.

4. How can resistance be measured?

Resistance can be measured using a device called a multimeter, which typically has settings for measuring resistance in ohms. The resistance can also be calculated by measuring the current and voltage in a circuit and using the formula R = V/I, where R is resistance, V is voltage, and I is current.

5. How can resistance be reduced in a circuit?

Resistance can be reduced in a circuit by using materials with lower resistance, increasing the cross-sectional area of the conductor, or decreasing the length of the conductor. Additionally, using thicker wires and proper circuit design can help minimize resistance and improve the efficiency of the circuit.