I with rotational kinetic energy problems

In summary, the conversation discusses using the formula for rotational kinetic energy (KE) and work in two separate scenarios. In the first scenario, the individual was able to calculate the answer of 1.1 x 106 J, but in the second scenario, they got 21J which they believe is incorrect. They ask for help or a hint and question if the change in kinetic energy is equal to work. The conversation ends with a question about the formula for the moment of inertia (MoI) of a solid uniform sphere.
kenny243
B9aoQgo.png
I tried to use this formula: KE=(1/2)(I)(w)^2, and work=change in KEFor the first question, i tried to plug the number into the rotation kinetic energy formula:
3600rpm=376.8rad/s
(0.5)(2,000kg)(0.125m)^2(376.8rad/s)^2
I found out this was the answer 1.1 x 106 J, but I got 2218410J

For the second one, I did:
(0.5)(7kg)(0.109)^2((6m/s)/(0.1m))^2
And I got 21j, pretty sure is wrong.

Can someone please help me out, or give me a hint??
Really struggling.
Does the change in kinetic energy equal to work?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
kenny243 said:
I got 2218410J
I get about the same.
kenny243 said:
For the second one, I did:
(0.5)(7kg)(0.109)^2((6m/s)/(0.1m))^2
What's the formula for the MoI of a solid uniform sphere?

What is rotational kinetic energy?

Rotational kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its rotation around an axis. It is a form of kinetic energy and depends on the mass, shape, and speed of the rotating object.

How is rotational kinetic energy calculated?

The formula for calculating rotational kinetic energy is K = 1/2 Iω^2, where K is the kinetic energy, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity of the object.

What is the difference between linear and rotational kinetic energy?

Linear kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion in a straight line, while rotational kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its rotation around an axis. They are two different forms of kinetic energy, but both depend on the mass and speed of the object.

How does rotational kinetic energy affect the stability of an object?

Rotational kinetic energy can affect the stability of an object by determining its angular momentum. An object with a higher rotational kinetic energy will have a greater angular momentum, making it more difficult to stop or change its direction of rotation.

What are some real-life examples of rotational kinetic energy?

Some real-life examples of rotational kinetic energy include a spinning top, a rotating ceiling fan, a spinning wheel on a bike, and a spinning Earth on its axis.