I with simple Differential Equation.

In summary, the speaker is struggling with an algebraic problem and is looking for someone to show them the correct solution and explain the steps. They attempted to use the "separation trick" but were unable to arrive at the correct solution, which is y= (-1 ± √(4t+c))/2. They also mentioned their unfamiliarity with using the quadratic formula when the right hand side is not equal to zero. They express appreciation for any help and guidance, including tips on formatting equations in a text editor.
JDStupi

Homework Statement

Hello, I'm trying to go back to school and haven't done any math in awhile, as such, my skills are terribly out of practice. I am unable to arrive at the book's solution and suspect I am forgetting a simple algebraic trick and would like somebody to show me it and explain the details so I can learn it and apply it in the future.

Homework Equations

dy/dt=1/(2y+1)

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
So, I do the Ol' separation trick and get ∫(2y+1)dy=∫dt
Which then leads me to y2/2+y+c=t+c. I combine the constants to get y2/2+y=t+k
This is basically as far as I get, algebraic fiddling notwithstanding.

The actual solution is y= (-1 ± √(4t+c))/2

I see the form of the quadratic in the solution, but I'm used to applying the quadratic when the right hand side is zero. So, if anybody could show me how to arrive at that solution and where I go wrong or what I'm missing I would highly appreciate it.

Also, if anybody can let me in on how to make the equations look nice in the text editor that would be awesome.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
JDStupi said:
I see the form of the quadratic in the solution, but I'm used to applying the quadratic when the right hand side is zero. So, if anybody could show me how to arrive at that solution and where I go wrong or what I'm missing I would highly appreciate it.
But the RHS is zero, if you like. You got ##\frac{1}{2}y^2+y=t+k## which is wrong by a factor ##2##: ##\frac{d}{dy}y^2=2y##
Corrected you have ##y^2+y-t-k=0## which resolves to ##y_{1,2}=\dfrac{1}{2}\left(-1 \pm \sqrt{1+4t+c}\right)\,.##
Also, if anybody can let me in on how to make the equations look nice in the text editor that would be awesome.
https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/

Likes Delta2, scottdave and JDStupi
:oops: Ah! You're the man! I knew I was being stupid and overlooking something simple. Thank you very much for the help, and for the latexhelp link.

Likes Delta2

1. What is a simple differential equation?

A simple differential equation is an equation that involves a function and its derivatives, and can be solved by using basic algebraic operations and integration. It is used to model various physical phenomena in science and engineering.

2. How do you solve a simple differential equation?

To solve a simple differential equation, you need to first identify the type of equation (e.g. linear, separable, exact) and then use appropriate methods such as separation of variables, integrating factors, or substitution. It is also important to check for any initial or boundary conditions to find the particular solution.

3. What is the importance of simple differential equations in science?

Simple differential equations are essential in science as they provide mathematical models for many natural phenomena such as growth, decay, motion, and diffusion. They allow scientists to make predictions and analyze the behavior of systems in various fields like physics, chemistry, biology, and economics.

4. Can you give an example of a real-world application of simple differential equations?

One example of a real-world application of simple differential equations is the logistic growth model, which is used to describe the population growth of a species. It takes into account factors such as birth rate, death rate, and carrying capacity of the environment to predict the population over time.

5. How can I learn more about simple differential equations?

There are various resources available to learn more about simple differential equations, such as textbooks, online courses, and tutorials. It is important to have a strong foundation in calculus and algebra before studying differential equations. You can also consult with a mathematician or take a class at a university to further your understanding.