What Is the Final Equilibrium Temperature Between Aluminum and Iron Blocks?

In summary, the 20 kg aluminum block initially at 200 C is brought into contact with a 20 kg block of Iron at 100 C. The Al block will heat the Fe block until the temperatures are equal, and the relationship between energy and temperature is different between Al and Fe. The Compressible 1st Law will determine that U=0, and the contact surface will be the point x=0. The volume of aluminum block Va=O*ha and for the Ferro block: Vi=O*hi. Then we can define de temperature on the line -ha<= x <=+hi, in which the point x=0 means a point on the contact surface. The final state Tf is reached there first, and
needy
a 20 Kg Aluminum block initially at 200 C is brought into contact with a 20 Kg block of Iron at 100 C. I need the final equilibrium temperature and the total entropy change for this process.

I have an idea on how to find the chango of entropy, what I'm struggling with is finding the final temperature.

Help Please

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi needy, welcome to PF. If this is a homework question, it's probably going to be moved. Also, you should discuss what equations you've found and tried so far so we know where to start.

You've probably figured out that the Al block is going to heat the Fe block until the temperatures are equal. But the relationship between energy and temperature is different between Al and Fe. Have you gotten this far?

Specific heat of aluminium =0,88 J / kg K.
Define temperature of the iron block as zero how much energy has the aluminium to divide over the aluminium- and iron block together.

needy said:
a 20 Kg Aluminum block initially at 200 C is brought into contact with a 20 Kg block of Iron at 100 C. I need the final equilibrium temperature and the total entropy change for this process.

I have an idea on how to find the change of entropy, what I'm struggling with is finding the final temperature.

Help Please

Closed system, control mass.

What you're going to want to do is model both objects as incompressible.
ca=specific heat aluminum
ci=specific heat iron
m=mass
Tf=temp final
Ti=temp Fe
Ta=temp Al

Imcompressible 1st Law
U=Q-W Q=0, W=0
U=0
U=m*c*(T2-T1)
so
Ui+Ua=0
then
mi*ci*(Tf-Ti)+ma*ca*(Tf-Ta)=0

For incompressible substances, Change in S (entropy) is S= m*c*(ln(T2/T1))

Your second law equation is of course S2-S1=Q/T+o(entropy production) Q/T=0 (no boundary heat loss)

so S2-S1=o (Treat S2-S1 as change in S)

mi*ci*ln(Tf/Ti)+ma*ca*ln(Tf/Ta)=o

Double check for any typing errors, etc.
Hope that helps!

Last edited:
Ok the system is almost fully defined. What is needed is the contact surface O, and Needy I hope that you agree in cilindersymmetry. Then there are to heights hi and ha.
So the volume of aluminium block Va=O*ha and for the Ferro block: Vi=O*hi. Then we can define de temperature on the line -ha<= x <=+hi, in which the point x=0 means a point on the contact surface. It is logical to hypothesize that the final state Tf is reached there first, and that at that moment no heat-transport trough O takes place.
At that moment the two blocks can be separated and calculated how the remaining heattransfer takes place in them

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that studies the relationship between heat, work, and energy. It involves the study of how energy is converted from one form to another, and how it flows through different systems.

2. Why is thermodynamics important?

Thermodynamics is important because it helps us understand the fundamental principles that govern the behavior of matter and energy. It has numerous applications in fields such as engineering, chemistry, and biology, and is crucial for the development of new technologies.

3. What are the laws of thermodynamics?

The laws of thermodynamics are fundamental principles that govern the behavior of energy in a system. They include the first law, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted, and the second law, which states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time.

4. How is thermodynamics used in real life?

Thermodynamics has numerous practical applications in everyday life. It is used in the design of engines and power plants, refrigeration and air conditioning systems, and even in cooking and baking. It also plays a crucial role in understanding weather patterns and climate change.

5. What are some common misconceptions about thermodynamics?

One common misconception about thermodynamics is that it only applies to large, complex systems. In reality, the principles of thermodynamics can be applied to any system, no matter how small. Another misconception is that thermodynamics only deals with heat and temperature, when in fact it also involves other forms of energy such as work and potential energy.