I with this MCQ question pleae

• Thread starter Shiv Narayanan
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of specific heat capacity and the power provided by heaters to objects with different masses. The mentor gives a hint to use the formula for ΔQ and power provided, and the student realizes their mistake and asks for clarification. The mentor then corrects the student and suggests using the ratio of power provided to calculate the specific heat capacity. The student understands and asks for further clarification on using the ratio.
Shiv Narayanan
< Mentor Note -- Poster has been warned to show their work in future schoolwork threads >

Screenshot 2015-08-10 23.35.26.png
Hello! I need help with this question. The answer is D but I don't understand why :/ Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please post your attempt .

Hint : What is formula for ΔQ ? What is power provided ?

IMG_20150811_001821.jpg
Hello, Thanks for replying!

Attachments

• IMG_20150811_001821.jpg
    IMG_20150811_001821.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 380
Why is Q1 = Q2 ?

Heaters are identical , and so power provided by them will be the same . The heat absorbed by the objects in some time ' t ' will depend on their own properties . It will not necessarily be the same for both .
Try again .

Hope this helps .

Oh Yes.. I read the question wrongly. I thought amount of energy provided is the same.

So, if I am not wrong, the gradient of the graph is the specific heat capacity and since mass of N is 2 times the mass of M, in this case, I can just take the mass of N to be 2kg while the mass of M to be 1kg right? (For me to be able to calculate)

I find the gradient of N and divide it by 2 as heat capacity is per kg.Then I have to compare with the gradient of M and derive the ratio.. Am I right?

ΔQ = m*c*ΔT ,
∴ P = ΔQ / ΔT = ?

Shiv Narayanan said:
So, if I am not wrong, the gradient of the graph is the specific heat capacity and since mass of N is 2 times the mass of M, in this case, I can just take the mass of N to be 2kg while the mass of M to be 1kg right? (For me to be able to calculate)
No , I think it looks more like ( ΔT / Δt ) .
And no , you can't assume the masses as so . Use P1 / P2 ratio .

Last edited:

1. What is an MCQ question?

An MCQ question, or multiple-choice question, is a type of assessment question where a set of possible answer options are provided and the test-taker must choose the correct answer from the options.

2. How do I answer MCQ questions effectively?

To answer MCQ questions effectively, it is important to carefully read and understand the question, eliminate any obviously incorrect answer options, and use strategies such as process of elimination or educated guessing to select the best answer.

3. Can I create my own MCQ questions?

Yes, anyone can create their own MCQ questions. However, it is important to follow proper question construction guidelines and ensure that the question and answer options are clear and free from bias.

4. How are MCQ questions graded?

MCQ questions are typically graded by assigning a point value to each question and awarding the points for a correct answer. Some tests may also have negative marking, where points are deducted for incorrect answers.

5. Are MCQ questions an effective way to assess knowledge?

MCQ questions can be an effective way to assess knowledge, as they allow for a wide range of topics to be covered in a relatively short amount of time. However, they may not effectively assess critical thinking skills and may be prone to guessing or memorization strategies.