Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need help with this problem!

1. Sep 13, 2003 #1
    1/a+h+9 - 1/a+9 divide by h

This is a function and I suppose to calculate the value. But im stuck. Thanks for your help.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2003 #2

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi Learning, welcome to the forums!

Let me ask for clarification. You don't have any parenthesis, so the equation is a little ambiguous when looking at the screen.

Is this the equation:

1/(a+h+9) - (1/(a+9))/h

or is it something different?

4. Sep 13, 2003 #3
    Thats exactly right, sorry I forgot the those. Its different on the computer than writing it. Thanks

5. Sep 13, 2003 #4

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Re: I need help with this problem!

Ok,

Forum rules: you really should try the problem yourself first, so we can help where you got stuck. I can give you some pointers to get you started, though.

The trick is to get the h by itself on one side.

1/(a+h+9) - (1/(a+9))/h = 0

In this case, you'd first add (1/(a+9))/h to both sides, giving

1/(a+h+9) = (1/(a+9))/h

Then, multiply both sides by h, giving

h/(a+h+9) = 1/(a+9)

Give it a shot, and let us know how you do. Remeber, multiplying by X/X is the same as multiplying by 1.

6. Sep 14, 2003 #5
    Thanks for your help engima. Funny thing is thats where im stuck. I keep doing the problem that way, but I don't know where to go from there.

7. Sep 14, 2003 #6

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Multiply both sides by the denominators, then add and subtract the h terms to one side, and all the others to the other side. Collect the coefficients on the h, and divide both sides by them.

Give it a shot, post your work!

8. Sep 14, 2003 #7
    I'm lost. Please work with me here.

9. Sep 16, 2003 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

First, you will need to learn to be more precise: I noticed that when there was a question as to exactly what you meant, you apologized for not putting in parentheses to make it clear, but DIDN'T tell us what the correct formula was.

I assume that you mean, not 1/(a+h+9) - (1/(a+9))/h = 0, as enigma said (because there was no equation, initially) but rather,
    (1/(a+h+9)- 1/(a+9))/h simply because that's a fairly standard "derivative" problem.

The first thing you should do is add the fractions: since they have different denominators, you need to get the same denominator by multiplying the numerator and denominator of the first fraction by (a+9): (a+9)/((a+h+9)(a+9)) and the numerator and denominator of the second fraction by (a+ h+ 9): (a+ h+9)/((a+h+9)(a+9))
    (I did not multiply out the denominator because there is no need to.)

Now we know
    1/(a+h+9)- 1/(a+9)= (a+9)/((a+h+9)(a+9))-(a+ h+9)/((a+h+9)(a+9))
    = (a+9-(a+h+9))/((a+h+9)(a+9))
    = -h/((a+h+9)(a+9))

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?