How can I calculate the derivative of a fraction with different denominators?

• Thread starter Learning
  • Start date
We can now cancel the h's, and our equation is1/(a+h+9)- 1/(a+9)= -1/((a+h+9)(a+9)) Now we divide both sides by h and have the equation to solve:1/(a+h+9)- 1/(a+9)= -1/((a+h+9)(a+9))In summary, the conversation is discussing a mathematical equation involving fractions and an unknown variable h. The goal is to isolate h and solve for its value. The conversation provides guidance, clarifications, and suggestions, but the final equation to solve is 1/(a+h+9)- 1/(a+9)= -
Learning
1/a+h+9 - 1/a+9 divide by h

This is a function and I suppose to calculate the value. But I am stuck. Thanks for your help.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi Learning, welcome to the forums!

Originally posted by Learning
1/a+h+9 - 1/a+9 divide by h

Let me ask for clarification. You don't have any parenthesis, so the equation is a little ambiguous when looking at the screen.

Is this the equation:

1/(a+h+9) - (1/(a+9))/h

or is it something different?

Thats exactly right, sorry I forgot the those. Its different on the computer than writing it. Thanks

Ok,

Forum rules: you really should try the problem yourself first, so we can help where you got stuck. I can give you some pointers to get you started, though.

The trick is to get the h by itself on one side.

1/(a+h+9) - (1/(a+9))/h = 0

In this case, you'd first add (1/(a+9))/h to both sides, giving

1/(a+h+9) = (1/(a+9))/h

Then, multiply both sides by h, giving

h/(a+h+9) = 1/(a+9)

Give it a shot, and let us know how you do. Remeber, multiplying by X/X is the same as multiplying by 1.

Thanks for your help engima. Funny thing is that's where I am stuck. I keep doing the problem that way, but I don't know where to go from there.

Multiply both sides by the denominators, then add and subtract the h terms to one side, and all the others to the other side. Collect the coefficients on the h, and divide both sides by them.

Give it a shot, post your work!

I'm lost. Please work with me here.

First, you will need to learn to be more precise: I noticed that when there was a question as to exactly what you meant, you apologized for not putting in parentheses to make it clear, but DIDN'T tell us what the correct formula was.

I assume that you mean, not 1/(a+h+9) - (1/(a+9))/h = 0, as enigma said (because there was no equation, initially) but rather,
(1/(a+h+9)- 1/(a+9))/h simply because that's a fairly standard "derivative" problem.

The first thing you should do is add the fractions: since they have different denominators, you need to get the same denominator by multiplying the numerator and denominator of the first fraction by (a+9): (a+9)/((a+h+9)(a+9)) and the numerator and denominator of the second fraction by (a+ h+ 9): (a+ h+9)/((a+h+9)(a+9))
(I did not multiply out the denominator because there is no need to.)

Now we know
1/(a+h+9)- 1/(a+9)= (a+9)/((a+h+9)(a+9))-(a+ h+9)/((a+h+9)(a+9))
= (a+9-(a+h+9))/((a+h+9)(a+9))
= -h/((a+h+9)(a+9))

1. What is the problem I am trying to solve?

The first step in any scientific problem-solving process is clearly defining the problem. This involves identifying the specific issue or question that needs to be addressed.

2. What steps should I take to solve this problem?

Once the problem is defined, it is important to develop a plan of action. This may involve conducting research, gathering data, or designing experiments. It is also important to consider potential obstacles and alternative approaches.

3. How can I ensure the accuracy and validity of my results?

In order to produce reliable and meaningful results, it is important to follow proper scientific methods and techniques. This includes careful data collection, accurate measurements, and appropriate statistical analyses.

4. What are the potential implications of my findings?

As a scientist, it is important to consider the broader implications of your research. This may involve thinking about how your findings contribute to existing knowledge or how they may be applied in real-world situations.

5. How can I communicate my results effectively?

Effective communication is a crucial aspect of any scientific inquiry. This may involve presenting your findings in a clear and concise manner, using appropriate terminology, and considering your audience's level of understanding.