1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need help with this question on velocity/displacement

1. Feb 1, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[​IMG]

2. Relevant equations

velocity = displacement / time taken

3. The attempt at a solution

I found out the answer to speed but not velocity because I honestly do not know how to do it.

The answer to speed is 1.05 meters per second. and the distance from a - c is 316meters.

------

Help would greatly appreciated since this is due tomorrow morning. If you need any more information or need me to be clearer, please let me know.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Velocity is a speed in a particular direction. You just need to specify the direction. For example, how many degrees north of east?

4. Feb 1, 2009 #3
    But I'm not sure what or how to figure out displacement. If the equation to velocity is "velocity = displacement/time taken" then I'll need to know the displacement to answer the question.

Thanks.

5. Feb 1, 2009 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Think of displacement as distance in a particular direction. In your problem, the displacement vector would be depicted as an arrow going from A to C. You already know its length; all you need is its direction.

6. Feb 1, 2009 #5
    Question: Have you ever worked with Vectors before? Because that would render this entire exercise rather trivial.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?