Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: I need help with this question on velocity/displacement

1. Feb 1, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

http://www.isarapix.org/pix8/1233492541.png [Broken]

2. Relevant equations

velocity = displacement / time taken

3. The attempt at a solution

I found out the answer to speed but not velocity because I honestly do not know how to do it.

The answer to speed is 1.05 meters per second. and the distance from a - c is 316meters.

------

Help would greatly appreciated since this is due tomorrow morning. If you need any more information or need me to be clearer, please let me know.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Velocity is a speed in a particular direction. You just need to specify the direction. For example, how many degrees north of east?

4. Feb 1, 2009 #3
    But I'm not sure what or how to figure out displacement. If the equation to velocity is "velocity = displacement/time taken" then I'll need to know the displacement to answer the question.

Thanks.

5. Feb 1, 2009 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Think of displacement as distance in a particular direction. In your problem, the displacement vector would be depicted as an arrow going from A to C. You already know its length; all you need is its direction.

6. Feb 1, 2009 #5
    Question: Have you ever worked with Vectors before? Because that would render this entire exercise rather trivial.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook