I with this technical drawing.

• Thread starter Wangtang1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drawing
In summary, the conversation discusses the identification of a third or first angle projection and various elements on an engineering drawing such as a dimension line, extension line, and external thread. The conversation also mentions the importance of knowing the projection and the use of section A-A on the drawing.
Wangtang1
http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/9...ingdrawing.jpg

How can I tell whether this is third or first angle projection? What is the big line at the top that the red arrow is pointing at? Is an external thread used where the orange arrow is pointing at?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
i think you did not upload the picture correctly.

Sorry, here is the picture.

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/9988/engineeringdrawing.jpg

Wangtang1 said:
http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/9...ingdrawing.jpg

How can I tell whether this is third or first angle projection? What is the big line at the top that the red arrow is pointing at? Is an external thread used where the orange arrow is pointing at?

Hi,
I totally forgot about 1st and 3rd angle projections Sorry i cannot tell you which projection.
Red arrow: It should be the dimension line or extension line (it is the extension line)
If you draw a straight vertical line below the red arrow it reaches a 'hole' and this 'hole' corresponds to the six holes in the bottom figure. These six holes are written in your bottom figure as 85 PCD 6 Dia 1-6 pitch.
Orange arrow: Your ornage arrow points towards a black dot. I really don't know what it is. Bur it could be associated to 20 Dia 2 pitch as seen in bottom figure.
Hope it helps

If you take the top view and imagine holding it in your hands, one hand each side; then rotate the top of the view towards you so that you are looking in the direction of the red arrow, then that is what the lower view looks like. Who cares which angle projection it is? I went round a professional drawing office and not one draughtsman could tell me which projection they were using ("that's just something we did at college, but nobody bothers with it"). You haven't illustrated section A-A, but whatever it is, it could be positioned anywhere convenient on the same drawing or another drawing.

1. What is the purpose of this technical drawing?

The purpose of a technical drawing is to visually communicate detailed information about a product or structure. It serves as a guide for manufacturing or construction.

2. What types of technical drawings are commonly used?

The most commonly used types of technical drawings include orthographic, isometric, and perspective drawings. Other types include exploded views, assembly drawings, and schematics.

3. What is the difference between 2D and 3D technical drawings?

2D technical drawings are flat, two-dimensional representations of an object or structure, while 3D technical drawings show the object or structure in three dimensions, including height, width, and depth.

4. What software is used to create technical drawings?

There are many software programs available for creating technical drawings, including AutoCAD, SolidWorks, and SketchUp. The choice of software often depends on the specific needs and preferences of the user.

5. How are technical drawings used in the scientific field?

Technical drawings are used extensively in the scientific field to document and communicate research findings, design new experiments, and create visual representations of complex scientific concepts. They are also used in engineering and manufacturing to create detailed plans for new products and structures.