Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need help with tuition.

1. Jul 17, 2011 #1
    I'm trying to take some classes, Calculus III, Intro to Linear Algebra, Real Analysis, as dual enrollment at the local university during the upcoming semester. Unfortunately, my parents can't afford it, and there are no scholarships, charities, or NPO's that I can find to help. Does anyone have experience with finding funding for dual enrollment, or have any ideas?

Thanks for your time,
    Tyler

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2011 #2
    Ever hear of a job? :uhh:

4. Jul 18, 2011 #3
    Thanks for your oh-so-helpful recommendation. It's greatly appreciated, truly.

$2,555 is a summer is a little much.

5. Jul 18, 2011 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Do you mean you need to make that much over the summer to pay for tuition? that's extremely doable if so.

6. Jul 18, 2011 #5
    Not now. I have 4 weeks until highschool starts back and 2 until tuition is due.

I didn't know I was going to have to pay for it at the beginning of the summer. There *was* an NPO at my HS that payed for this sort of thing, but they're reapplying for their grant and are out of money.

7. Jul 18, 2011 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

ahhhh. Yah sounds like you're out of luck then.

8. Jul 18, 2011 #7
    You might find some scholarships, but you're chances of doing so go downhill if you're white, male, have middle-class or upper-class parents, parents who are not veterans, are not in the military, have all your physical functionalities, etc.

Student loans. Some people hate having debt, but honestly if you are viewing it as an investment (which it sounds like it is), it shouldn't be that terrible.

9. Jul 18, 2011 #8
    The problem with scholarships, and I assume student loans, is that most, if not all, require a highschool diploma.

10. Jul 18, 2011 #9

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I hope you took this as a leaning experience. Deciding you don't have to work early on because you don't think you'll need the money can leave you in a bind down the road. To first order, you always need the money

11. Jul 18, 2011 #10
    How does the dual enrollment thing work?

12. Jul 18, 2011 #11

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I worked during high school so I could pay my way at university. My parents couldn't afford it either.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook