Community college and want to transfer to uc berkeley for physics

In summary: I am not sure if they looked at my transcript more closely or if my circumstances were just unlucky, but if you are applying from community college, do not expect to be admitted easily.In summary, if you have a 3.81 GPA from a community college and have 27 UC transferable units, you have a good chance of being accepted to UC Berkeley as a physics major.
student24
i'm currently at a community college and want to transfer to uc berkeley as a physics major. I'm starting to take courses to complete my transfer pre req. and i am close to being done with IGETC. I'm concerned with what my chances are of getting accepted. my current overall gpa is 3.81 and my IGETC gpa is 3.66 i have a total of 27 uc transferable units. I'm going to start taking honors classes and i am currently involved with PTK (int. honors society) doing some comm. service. I'm also in one club, CIS club (computer club, basically). the only smudges on my transcript are one F (i got that one while i was in h.s. taking a c.c. class. the class was music apprec. i clearned this F with an A), 3 Bs (one in history, pol. sci., and philosophy), and one W (withdrawl) in history. obviously these evil smudges are not going to help my chances getting in, but the question is how bad are they going to hurt me? also, any advice about how to increase my chances of getting in would be appreciated. i would also HIGHLY appreciate insight from anyone who has or is in my position and was able to transfer to berkeley. i would ask my counselor this about this info., but they've already screwed me over more than once.

Physics news on Phys.org
MMM...How about about the math, physics,and chem classes you have taken, how are you doing in those classes? I would also recommend you actually e-mail berkeley and ask them.

math: I had to start at the lowest level math and work my way up to stats. i have As in all math classes so far. I'm going to start trig. next semester.

chem: i haven't taken any classes yet, but I'm going to start the sequence next semester.

phys: none so far.

assuming i get As in all math, phys, and chem classes, which i the <i>plan</i>, do you think my smudges will hurt me much?

student24 said:
math: I had to start at the lowest level math and work my way up to stats. i have As in all math classes so far. I'm going to start trig. next semester.

chem: i haven't taken any classes yet, but I'm going to start the sequence next semester.

phys: none so far.

assuming i get As in all math, phys, and chem classes, which i the <i>plan</i>, do you think my smudges will hurt me much?

I am also at community college in San Diego preparing to transfer to UC San Diego for their High Energy Physics program, so I think I can give you some information about the process.

If you are a California resident attending a California community college, you should first check and see if your school offers transfer agreement programs with UC Universities. The community college system in San Diego offers UC Transfer agreements with certain schools (especially UCSD) as long as you meet certain requirements for transfer. Once you meet certain requirements, you are given a contract which gaurantees your admittance into whichever UC Uni you have arranged so long as you maintain the requirements (GPA, Class enrollments, etc.).

Now, if you honestly want to transfer into UC Berkley for their physics program, you should go to their website and get the requirements for whichever physics major you desire, because you will need to do as many of the undergraduate requirements as you can, before you transfer.

For example, you will be required to take the Calculus Series I,II, and III, as well as Differential Equations and Linear Algebra. If your school offers Vector Calculus, you should do your best to take that as well, although Berkley might require a Vector Calculus test for you to receive credit. You will also need to take Classical Mechanics, Waves, Light and Optics, Electromagnetism and whatever other Physics classes your school offers. You will also need to take Chemistry 151 and Chemistry 200.

Be prepared to study along in your classes text but also try to choose a different book for you to independently work through parallel to your classes text. This will prepare you for the UC system as it is much more independent and faster pace than the CC system. You also should not always rely on your professor's curriculum when learning this material.

Remember to spend as much time as you can studying the materials because you will be in competition for grad school with people who have had four years of UC education and we will have only had two.

I think Berkeley has some odd admissions criteria. I had a 4.0 gpa from community college, was a full time working adult while getting the gpa, had the maximum transferrable credits (and then some), and still was not offered admission to the math program. I classmate who had less preparation than I, had a worse gpa, didn't work nor wasn't invloved in any extracurricular activities while in school, not only was offered admission to UCB but got a decent partial scholarship. The only differences between us (other than already mentioned) were our personal statements, and she was an international student from S Korea. Either my personal statement completely blew chunks, or there were the so called "quota" factors involved. So, to answer your question, apply to places other than UCB if you can.

thanks to everyone for the advice.

to daveb: damn, that sucks.

I transferred from a community college to UC Berkeley and I think my GPA was a little worse then yours (like a 3.5-3.7 when I applied?). I also completed the IGETC, which means the only courses I have been required to take are physics, math, and one "american cultures" credit. I had a W on my transcript as well. I think perhaps the most important part is the personal statement. I tried to show why I was interested in physics and why I was sure I wanted to study physics, and also was set me apart from from the others who were applying. I was involved with PTK also, which I think helps. The best advice I can give is to keep your grades up and not write a "cookie-cutter" personal statement - make yourself stand out.

eep said:
I transferred from a community college to UC Berkeley and I think my GPA was a little worse then yours (like a 3.5-3.7 when I applied?). I also completed the IGETC, which means the only courses I have been required to take are physics, math, and one "american cultures" credit. I had a W on my transcript as well. I think perhaps the most important part is the personal statement. I tried to show why I was interested in physics and why I was sure I wanted to study physics, and also was set me apart from from the others who were applying. I was involved with PTK also, which I think helps. The best advice I can give is to keep your grades up and not write a "cookie-cutter" personal statement - make yourself stand out.

thanks for the information eep. by the way, when you transferred did you finish all of your major prep courses (i.e. the math, phys, and chem) or did you take them at berkeley. also, can i ask how things are going with physics at berkeley? have you completed your degree yet?

when I transferred I had to take a lower division physics class, a lower division math class, and an "american cultures" class. i had all my other breadth requirements done, and all i take now are physics and math classes. things are well well with physics at berkeley, now, but i had a rough start. i have a 1-year-old so my first two semester were very hectic dealing with being a new parent. there are some classes i have to retake, but no big deal. i'll have my degree in 2008, I'm stretching my time at berkeley out so i can stay there as long as possible. be prepared to realize that your community college didn't prepare you for the level of math and physics done at berkeley. almost every transfer student I've talked to has had a rough first semester. I'm sure you'll do fine though.

eep said:
when I transferred I had to take a lower division physics class, a lower division math class, and an "american cultures" class. i had all my other breadth requirements done, and all i take now are physics and math classes. things are well well with physics at berkeley, now, but i had a rough start. i have a 1-year-old so my first two semester were very hectic dealing with being a new parent. there are some classes i have to retake, but no big deal. i'll have my degree in 2008, I'm stretching my time at berkeley out so i can stay there as long as possible. be prepared to realize that your community college didn't prepare you for the level of math and physics done at berkeley. almost every transfer student I've talked to has had a rough first semester. I'm sure you'll do fine though.

i agree. it's better to prepare yourself using outside materials than just relying on the ciricculum in community college alone. i had a good physics teacher but cc math was ridiculously easy

i was reading something online that mentioned something about UCs not accepting transfer students who have 80+ transferable units. is this true?i read another atricle and it said that that rule does not apply to cc students. by the time i reach vector calculus i will have approx. 90 units. does anyone know anything regarding this issue?

student24 said:
i was reading something online that mentioned something about UCs not accepting transfer students who have 80+ transferable units. is this true?i read another atricle and it said that that rule does not apply to cc students. by the time i reach vector calculus i will have approx. 90 units. does anyone know anything regarding this issue?

Nope, I transferred in with 120 quarter units at UCLA. (actually I had more than that, but that was the maximum transfer amount).

Last edited:
yeah, that's ridiculous. what i do know is that at berkeley, only 70 units transfer as credit, but any classes you took which satisfy prerequisites still apply. it works to your benefit, because once you pass 130 units that pretty much has to be your last semester, exceptions are rarely made.

*this is at berkeley, at least.

Math Is Hard said:
Nope, I transferred in with 120 quarter units at UCLA. (actually I had more than that, but that was the maximum transfer amount).

clarification: you transferred into ucla from a community college or you transferred into berkeley from ucla?

student24 said:
clarification: you transferred into ucla from a community college or you transferred into berkeley from ucla?

sorry... I transferred from a cc into UCLA.

Can you talk to someone in Berkeley Undergrad advising about your concerns? I got a lot of misinformation from cc counselors and the only way I got the straight dope was just to go right to my department at UCLA and ask. They were really nice about talking to me even though I wasn't even a student yet.

Math Is Hard said:
sorry... I transferred from a cc into UCLA.

thanks. that's still awesome (that is, unless berkeley has a different policy).

Math Is Hard said:
Can you talk to someone in Berkeley Undergrad advising about your concerns? I got a lot of misinformation from cc counselors and the only way I got the straight dope was just to go right to my department at UCLA and ask. They were really nice about talking to me even though I wasn't even a student yet.

i'm going to try that. yeah, i agree, a lot of misinformation is going around.

1. What is the process for transferring from a community college to UC Berkeley for physics?

The process for transferring from a community college to UC Berkeley for physics typically involves completing the necessary coursework and requirements at the community college, submitting an application to UC Berkeley as a transfer student, and meeting the GPA and other admission requirements set by the university. It is important to research and plan for transfer early on in your community college education to ensure that you are meeting all necessary requirements.

2. What are the benefits of starting at a community college and then transferring to UC Berkeley for physics?

Starting at a community college and then transferring to UC Berkeley for physics can have several benefits. It can be more affordable, as community colleges often have lower tuition rates. It can also provide a smoother transition to a larger university, as community colleges typically have smaller class sizes and more personalized instruction. Additionally, some community colleges have transfer agreements with UC Berkeley, making the transfer process smoother.

3. What courses should I take at a community college to prepare for transferring to UC Berkeley for physics?

The specific courses you should take at a community college to prepare for transferring to UC Berkeley for physics will vary depending on your individual academic goals and the requirements of the university. However, some recommended courses may include calculus, physics, chemistry, and computer science. It is important to research the requirements for the physics program at UC Berkeley and consult with an academic advisor at your community college to plan your coursework.

4. Are there any scholarships or financial aid available for community college students transferring to UC Berkeley for physics?

Yes, there are scholarships and financial aid options available for community college students transferring to UC Berkeley for physics. The university offers transfer-specific scholarships, and there may also be external scholarships available for transfer students. Additionally, both UC Berkeley and community colleges offer financial aid options, such as grants and loans, to help cover the cost of tuition and living expenses.

5. What resources are available to help with the transfer process from community college to UC Berkeley for physics?

There are several resources available to help with the transfer process from community college to UC Berkeley for physics. These may include transfer advisors at your community college, transfer workshops and events at UC Berkeley, and online resources provided by the university. It is also important to stay in communication with the admissions office at UC Berkeley for any specific questions or concerns about the transfer process.