1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need Helps . Decomposition Reaction WE

1. Jul 19, 2005 #1
    I need Helps..... Decomposition Reaction WE

is this how you're supposed to write a decomposition reaction in a word equation?

Copper (II) hydroxide decomposes with heat into the copper (II) oxide and water

....so then the water in this one would be a liquid right?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2005 #2
    Assuming it is under the correct temperature, the water will be water vapour, thus, a gas.

The Bob (2004 ©)

4. Jul 19, 2005 #3
    well we placed it into a hot water bath ....and constantly stirring it ... the color change so i guess it's gas ...right?

5. Jul 20, 2005 #4
    What changed colour? The water?

The Bob (2004 ©)

6. Jul 20, 2005 #5
    The colour change tells you that the [tex]Cu(OH)_2[/tex] has changed somehow chemically. Since the most likely change is dehydration that is what you should reasonably assume is what happened. Basically the [tex]Cu(OH)_2[/tex] was probably hydrated to some extent and what happened is that you have removed this crystal water by heating the hydrate. [tex]Cu(OH)_2.nH2O(s) \xrightarrow{heat} Cu(OH)_2(s)~+~nH_2O(g)[/tex] describes this reaction.

When the [tex]Cu(OH)_2[/tex] decomposes it leaves [tex]CuO[/tex] and [tex]H_2O[/tex]. The [tex]H_2O[/tex] will be released at temperatures of around [tex]185^{o}C[/tex] which is unlikely to be achieved in a hot water bath.

7. Jul 26, 2005 #6
    oh I see now...thank you so much for your helps :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?