Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need math help.

1. Feb 20, 2005 #1
    Can anybody give me the name of a few web sites that have all the mathamaticle sybols and terms as well as what those symbols and terms mean and are called, please.

Thank you,
    Mathew Tucker
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2005 #2
    A little more specifing would be useful... For instance, which level would the math be on. etc.
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2005
  4. Feb 21, 2005 #3
  5. Feb 22, 2005 #4
    Get "Collins Dictionary of Mathematics".

Good when you're away from a computer.
  6. Feb 22, 2005 #5
  7. Feb 22, 2005 #6
    By the way, just out of curiousity:

You know how the backwards capital "E" is a symbol meaning "there exists........"?

Well....if I put a vertical or diagonal slash thru that symbol, can it mean
    "There does not exist..............."?

I mean, is there a symbol for "there does NOT exist......."?
    If I draw a slash thru a backwards capital "E"---will it be common sense/knowledge to assume that I'm just saying "There does NOT exist...."

Well, you see what I mean? Kinda...sorta??
  8. Feb 22, 2005 #7

That is the greek symbol sigma, it means summation. Its just there as way to informe you how to right an equation. For example:

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{10} n^2=1^2+2^2+3^2+4^2+5^2+6^2+7^2+8^2+9^2+10^2[/tex]

Do you see whats going on here?

(Sorry if thats not what you meant)
  9. Feb 22, 2005 #8
    I imagine Bomba is going for [itex]\exists[/itex], which does in fact mean "there exists".

10. Feb 23, 2005 #9
    No, bomba is going for "there does not exist" and the way he describes the symbol is exactly correct in the standard usage. For more fun, also try E! (there exists a unique)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?