1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Studying I need some advice and directions, please

1. Jul 15, 2017 #1
    <Moderator's note: language cleaned>

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but xxx it, I'm kind of desperate for advice.
    So basically, I am from a xxx in south america, where the education level is as low as it gets (high school and university too, takes 6 years to graduate from engineering for example)
    I decided two years ago that I am not studying in that xxx no matter what, so I started researching for scholarships and xxx, I wanted to go to europe or america but those were too expensive, so I applied to a scholarship that pays EVERYTHING for you, and its in Japan. So I studied by myself from the internet and other resources for about 10 months literally all day, and I did it,I got the scholarship. I am out of that xxx, that was last year (had to compete with 15000 students worldwide and I am the second one that got it from my country in the past 15 years, not bragging just showing how xxx my country is, 80 ppl get it from around the world) , now I am in japan in the "preparation year" stage.
    The thing is, and I know its my own xxxing fault but I still need some help on how to recover, since I passed the exams until I came to Japan I did NOTHING, so I forgot at least 80% of the things I have learned to pass (math, phys, chem, etc) even the basic xxx stuff, so I am sorrounded here by all these xxxing geniuses, some of them are even xxxing engineers, every one of them is elite level from their own country, they pretty much know a lot of xxx (only advantage I have is that I am really xxxing good at languages so in terms of learning japanese I am way more advanced, and thats a good thing since uni is in japanese but anyways)
    We have to learn jap, math, phys and chem all in japanese, and its hard xxx that I don't remember how to do, so I am having a xxx ton of problems. I have my first important set of exams in september and I am xxx, I have the whole month of august for vacations though and I can try to recover there but I don't know how (can anyone who has experience on this please guide me or help me on how to get ready for this, please, I know I am a selfish xxx and its my own fault but I can't help it)
    I am trying every day to study in my free time in english, the things I need to re-learn, but I simply don't have enough time because of classes, I am having classes from 8 am to 6pm everyday and I have language exams and other xxxxxx every single day, also infinite homework, so this is my last chance, I don't wanna ruin everything I worked so hard for, I dont wanna ruin my chance to get into a top uni in japan, so many people have such high expectations of me and I am a piece of xxx, more important than that I have my own expectations of me that I can't live up to and I know I am a dumb xxx. I just don't know what to do. I'm sorry for writing this here I just don't have anywhere else to consult. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2017 #2

Krylov

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Maybe try to reserve an extra year before you start, so you can adapt to the new country, recover your knowledge and learn how to pass exams in Japanese? Perhaps this would force you to take a job to sustain yourself, but this can help you integrate in society.

Talking about integrating in society: I would stop cursing, if I were you. Generally speaking, Japanese people are particularly polite and well-mannered.

4. Jul 15, 2017 #3
    Sadly that is not an option, I would be forced to go back and pay all the money that was invested in me. Also I have no problems with the society itself, that is the part that is going best actually, the only problem right now is my level of knowledge. Also sorry for the cursing, I am just kind of stressed right now

5. Jul 15, 2017 #4

Krylov

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

If I were you, I would take a whole day to assess exactly what your tasks are and what has the highest priority. Weed out everything that is not absolutely essential.

Then you need to assess whether it will be feasible to complete those tasks in time. Make a schedule and see whether it is realistic. You need to have a clear head to do that, because panic just clouds your judgement, so maybe before scheduling, have a long walk (or whatever relaxes you, as long at it is not at your desk) and get enough sleep. You have already studied (part of) this material in the past, albeit in another language, so that will help.

Next, you need to get to work as hard as you can without compromising your physical or mental well-being. There is nothing more to it. If you can make it like that, that is great. If not, you have tried everything you could, given the present conditions. There is no point in crying over spilled milk.

EDIT: It could also help to see if you could somehow still enroll in an English language based program. That would be possible here, but I conjecture that it is more difficult in Japan. Morever, you said that the language itself is not the largest problem.

6. Jul 15, 2017 #5

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Has it ever occurred to you, that it might have been your temper, which led to your difficulties in a completely different society?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted