Expert Advice for Pursuing Electrical Engineering in College & Beyond

• Thread starter ghostman97
  • Start date
In summary, it is recommended for students interested in pursuing a career in electrical engineering to read "The Art of Electronics" and start building electronics kits as a way to gain practical experience. It is also beneficial to seek out opportunities outside of the classroom, such as internships or working in related fields, to further develop skills and knowledge in the field.
ghostman97
see I am going into eight grade next year and i am seriously looking into electrical engineering, I am talking college and jobs, please give some advice thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
ghostman97 said:
see I am going into eight grade next year and i am seriously looking into electrical engineering, I am talking college and jobs, please give some advice thanks in advance

Good for you. EE is a very good career option, although it requires a lot of study and work. But it sounds like you are up for it.

The two basic pieces of advice I give aspiring EEs is to read "The Art of Electronics" cover to cover, and to start building elecronics kits that interest you.

There are more advanced steps after that, but the AoE and a couple of fun kits go a long way to building your future, IMO.

Go well (from Studiot).

Last edited:
thank you for the answer

This is just a personal preference, and it's not the road for everyone, but America needs advanced thinkers. I challenge students to seek out more than what they find in the classroom. Applied mathematicians, engineers that spent internships engineering, students that spend the extra time to decode the vagaries of the subject rather than studying for the test; these are what America needs.
Working minimum wage in test facilities, assembly houses, or in some cases the Navy, these are good ways to learn not only how things work, but how we apply them.

I Wish You Well,
Mike

1. How can I get good advice?

The best way to get good advice is to seek out someone who has experience or knowledge in the area you need advice on. This could be a friend, family member, mentor, or professional advisor.

2. What should I do if I don't know who to ask for advice?

If you don't know who to ask for advice, you can try reaching out to a support group or online community related to your issue. You can also consult with a therapist or counselor who can provide unbiased and professional guidance.

3. How do I know if the advice I receive is good?

Good advice should be well-informed, practical, and tailored to your specific situation. It should also consider your personal values and goals. If the advice you receive meets these criteria, it is likely to be good advice.

4. What should I do if I receive conflicting advice?

If you receive conflicting advice, it is important to consider the source of each piece of advice and their qualifications. You can also try to gather more information and perspectives before making a decision. Ultimately, trust your own judgment and choose the advice that aligns with your values and goals.

5. How can I give good advice to others?

To give good advice, it is important to actively listen and understand the other person's situation. Ask questions to gather more information and provide practical and realistic suggestions. It is also important to consider the other person's values and goals and provide advice that aligns with them.