1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need some help deriving the equation

1. Oct 5, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is from Exploring Black Holes, Query 1, page G-3. It involves a one dimensional creature on a two dimensional circle.

Constant dl but different dx. Collect terms in equation [5]. Show that the result can be written dl[itex]^{2}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{dx^{2}}{1 - x^{2}/r^{2}}[/itex]
    Equation [5], involving dl, is for finding the length of a measuring rod of length dl along the circle, laid by the one dimensional creature.

2. Relevant equations
    Equations in text for the chapter so far:
    [1] r[itex]^{2}[/itex] = x[itex]^{2}[/itex] + y[itex]^{2}[/itex]
    [2] y[itex]^{2}[/itex] = r[itex]^{2}[/itex] - x[itex]^{2}[/itex]
    [3] 2ydy = -2xdy r = constant
    [4] dy = -[itex]\frac{xdx}{y}[/itex] = -[itex]\frac{xdx}{(r^{2} - x^{2})^{1/2}}[/itex] r = constant
    [5] dl[itex]^{2}[/itex] = dx[itex]^{2}[/itex] + dy[itex]^{2}[/itex] = dx[itex]^{2}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{x^{2}dx^{2}}{(r^{2} - x^{2}}[/itex] r = constant

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've realized fairly easily that the bottom part of the equation I'm trying to get has an r[itex]^{2}[/itex] factored from the bottom. I haven't quite figured out where it went, though. The closest I've gotten is:

dy = -[itex]\frac{xdx}{(r^{2} - x^{2})^{1/2}}[/itex]
    Solving for dx, I get dx = -[itex]\frac{dy(r^{2} - x^{2})^{1/2}}{x}[/itex]
    I then input this into equation [5], getting dl[itex]^{2}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{dy^{2}(r^{2} - x^{2})^{2}}{x^{2}}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{x^{2}dx^{2}}{(r^{2} - x^{2})}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{dy^{2}(r^{2} - x^{2})^{2} + x^{4}dx^{2}}{x^{2}(r^{2} - x^{2})}[/itex]
    Then I moved the denominator over, dl[itex]^{2}[/itex]x[itex]^{2}[/itex](r[itex]^{2}[/itex] - x[itex]^{2}[/itex]) = dy[itex]^{2}[/itex](r[itex]^{2}[/itex] - x[itex]^{2}[/itex])[itex]^{2}[/itex] + x[itex]^{4}[/itex]dx[itex]^{2}[/itex]
    Substituting the dy gives dl[itex]^{2}[/itex]x[itex]^{2}[/itex](r[itex]^{2}[/itex] - x[itex]^{2}[/itex]) = x[itex]^{2}[/itex]dx[itex]^{2}[/itex] + x[itex]^{4}[/itex]dx[itex]^{2}[/itex]
    Dividing the things by the dl gives dl[itex]^{2}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{dx^{2}(1 + x^{2})}{(r^{2} - x^{2})}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{dx^{2}(1 + x^{2})}{r^{2}(1 - x^{2}/r^{2})}[/itex]
    Clearly, the only stuck thing is the [itex]\frac{(1 + x^{1})}{r^{2}}[/itex]. Does this mean anything, like it equals 1 or something, and I've just forgotten an identity? I've also tried a couple of other methods, but I would say this is pretty much what I get to. It may not make perfect sense, but I was running out of ideas, and this was the last thing I tried.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2011 #2
    Just look at [5] above and see where you can make the whole thing a single fraction.

4. Oct 5, 2011 #3
    Aha! I got it now!

I did:
    dl[itex]^{2}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{dx^{2}(r^{2} - x^{2}) + x^{2}dx^{2}}{(r^{2} - x^{2})}[/itex]

[tex]dl^{2} = \frac{dx^{2}(r^{2} - x^{2} + x^{2})}{(r^{2} - x^{2})}[/tex]

Canceling out the x[itex]^{2}[/itex]s and dividing r[itex]^{2}[/itex] from top and bottom gets the answer.

I knew there was an obvious answer, I just couldn't see it. I guess I had a brain fart. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2011
  5. Oct 5, 2011 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

MrNerd - a tip
    Instead of using a slew of itex /itex pairs of tags, put one itex tag at the beginning of your equation, and a /itex tag at the end of the equation.

For the 2nd equation above, I used a tex and /tex pair of tags. This makes fractions a little larger and easier to see.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook