1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Need Some Help Plz

1. May 6, 2008 #1
    I Need Some Help Plz !!!

Hi, I am needing some serious help on understanding the following question::frown:

A uniform door (0.81 m wide and 2.1 m high) weighs 140 N and is hung on two hinges that fasten the long left side of the door to a vertical wall. The hinges are 2.1 m apart. Assume that the lower hinge bears all the weight of the door. Find the magnitude and direction of the horizontal component of the force applied to the door by (a ) the upper hinge and (b ) the lower hinge. Determine the magnitude and direction of the force applied by the door to (c ) the upper hinge and (d ) the lower hinge.

I have the answer in front of me from the answer book but I am having trouble understanding how they came to the final conclusion.

CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN HOW THIS IS ANSWERED. I WILL BE FOREVER VERY GRATEFUL!!:smile:

Thank you very much!!

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2008 #2

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You must solve for balanced torques. Pick the lower hinge as a pivot point. The weight of the door acts as though it is a force that acts at the center of mass of the door.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?