I need some help understanding eulers method.

• Thread starter Ready2GoXtr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Method
This allows us to approximate the value of x at the next time step. In summary, when using Euler's method, the range can start at any number, not just 0, and the value at each step is calculated using the previous value and the slope at that point.
Ready2GoXtr
Every single example i have seen of eulers method starts with a range of 0 to some number, what if you had it going from like 2 to some number?

for example

if we had
x'=2x^2 + tx x(2)=1
and our range was
2 <= t <= 2.5 with h = .25

would I do this?

x(2.25)=x(2)+f(x(2),0)*.25 = 1.5

or would i do this

x(2.25)=x(2)+f(x(2),2)*.25 = 2

Physics news on Phys.org
Ready2GoXtr said:
Every single example i have seen of eulers method starts with a range of 0 to some number, what if you had it going from like 2 to some number?

for example

if we had
x'=2x^2 + tx x(2)=1
and our range was
2 <= t <= 2.5 with h = .25

would I do this?

x(2.25)=x(2)+f(x(2),0)*.25 = 1.5

or would i do this

x(2.25)=x(2)+f(x(2),2)*.25 = 2

You do the latter one. The idea is that at each step (tn,xn) have the point approximately on the curve and the slope at that point x' = f(tn,xn). So the new value xn+1 = xn + hf(tn,xn) where h is the step size.

1. How does Euler's method work?

Euler's method is a numerical method used to approximate the solution to a differential equation. It works by dividing the interval in which the solution is desired into smaller subintervals and using the slope of the tangent line at each subinterval to approximate the solution.

2. What are the advantages of using Euler's method?

Euler's method is relatively simple to understand and implement, making it a popular choice for approximating solutions to differential equations. It is also computationally efficient, making it useful for solving problems with large datasets.

3. What are the limitations of Euler's method?

One limitation of Euler's method is that it can only provide an approximation of the solution, which may not always be accurate. It also requires the differential equation to be in a specific form, which may not always be possible.

4. How do you determine the step size in Euler's method?

The step size in Euler's method is determined by dividing the interval in which the solution is desired by the number of subintervals. The smaller the step size, the more accurate the approximation will be, but this also increases the computational cost.

5. Can Euler's method be used for all types of differential equations?

No, Euler's method is most suitable for solving first-order ordinary differential equations. It may not provide accurate results for higher-order or partial differential equations.