I need some help with a circuitry question

• Thread starter cytokinesis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuitry
In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit with three branches and the difficulty in finding the value of I2. The values of I1 and I3 are equal and work out to be 2.7A. The question is answered by using the fact that R2 and R3 are connected in parallel and solving for I2 using the equation R_2(I_1 - I_2) = R_3I_2.
cytokinesis
I'm going to feel kinda dumb once the answer to this question is revealed. But I can't seem to get the proper answer.

The question is: What are the values of I1, I2, and I3 in the circuit?

The ciruit looks like this:
20.0V I=positive terminal
|-------I|-------|
| |
A I1 A I3
| |
| |
/ R1 |
\ 6.0? |
/ |
\ |
| |
|----v^v^v----|
| R2 2.0? A I2
| |
|----v^v^v----|
R3 4.0?

A = Ammeter

Okay. I have no difficulty finding the amount of current at points I1 and I3, as they are equal, and they both work out to 2.7A.

The difficulty lies in finding I2. The answer according to the book is 0.90 A and no matter how hard I try and how many routes i take to get there, I always wind up with the wrong answer. I'm beginning to think perhaps it's that the book's answer is wrong because the most logical answer I got was 1.0 A.

Any help would be nice! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
wow it really doesn't like that diagram.

I will draw one up, upload it to my website and link to it from there.

Here it is, please excuse the crude size, i did it in AppleWorks paint and I don't have a proper image cropping program here

http://cytokinesis.ath.cx/circuit.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Code:
      20.0V  I=positive terminal
+-------I|-------+
|                |
A  I1            A  I3
|                |
|                |
/                |
\   R1           |
/  6.0?          |
\                |
|                |
+-----v^v^v------+
|    R2  2.0?    A   I2
|                |
+-----v^v^v------+
     R3  4.0?

The answer is not 1A. R2 and R3 are connected in parallel, right? So the potential drop on each of them is qual:
[tex]V_2 = V_3[/tex]
The current through R3 is I2, can you see that? As for the current through R2, it is I1 - I2 (because I2 + the current through R2 equals I1). So we get:
[tex]R_2(I_1 - I_2) = R_3I_2[/tex]
Solve for I2 and you're done. :smile:

Wow that helps, thanks a lot :smile:

What is a circuit?

A circuit is a closed loop through which electricity can flow. It is made up of various components such as wires, resistors, capacitors, and batteries that work together to allow the flow of electricity and perform a specific task.

What is the purpose of a circuit?

The purpose of a circuit is to control the flow of electricity and convert it into useful forms such as light, sound, or mechanical motion. Circuits are used in a wide range of electronic devices, from simple light bulbs to complex computer systems.

How do I troubleshoot a circuit?

To troubleshoot a circuit, you can start by checking for loose connections, damaged components, or faulty wiring. Using a multimeter can also help you identify any issues with the flow of electricity. If you are still having trouble, you may need to consult a professional or refer to a circuit diagram for further assistance.

What is the difference between AC and DC circuits?

The main difference between AC (alternating current) and DC (direct current) circuits is the direction of the flow of electricity. AC circuits have a constantly changing flow of electricity, while DC circuits have a constant flow in one direction. AC is typically used for power distribution, while DC is commonly used in electronic devices.

What is a circuit diagram?

A circuit diagram is a graphical representation of an electrical circuit. It uses symbols to represent the various components and their connections, allowing for a visual understanding of how the circuit works. Circuit diagrams are essential for designing, building, and troubleshooting circuits.