I need some help with some basic material

• Thread starter Kadaj
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Material
In summary, the first problem involves finding the acceleration of a second car in order to meet with the first car at a specific distance on a highway. The second problem involves calculating the time it takes for a woman to reach a bus that is accelerating away from her, given her constant velocity. Calculations involve using the formula vt = x and \frac{1}{2}at^2 = x.
Kadaj
I can't seem to figure these problems if anyone can give me the concept and start me off that would be great.

Thanks in advance

Problem one: A car is traveling at a constant speed of 27 m/s on a highway. At the instant this car passes an entrance ramp, a second car enters the highway from the ramp. The second car starts from rest and has a constant acceleration. What acceleration must it maintain so that the two cars meet for the first time at the next exit which is 1.8 km away?

Problem two: A bus stop to pick up riders. A woman is running at a constant velocity of +5.0 m/s in an attempt to catch the bus When she is 11 m from the bus, it pulls away with a constant acceleration of +1.0 m/s^2. From this point, how much time does it take her to reach the bus if she keeps running with the same velocity?

*edit*
Oh sorry i posted this after i read the before you post thread Once again I am sorry for posting Homework help here

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For the first problem consider the formulas

[tex] vt = x [/tex]

[tex] \frac{1}{2}at^2 = x [/tex]

You go the speed for the car and the distance x they will both travel, what can you do with that?

For the second problem

She will do

[tex] vt = x + 11 [/tex]

while the bus will do

[tex] \frac{1}{2}at^2 = x [/tex]

No problem, I am here to assist you with these problems. For problem one, we need to use the equation d = vt + 1/2at^2, where d is the distance traveled, v is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. We know that the first car is traveling at a constant speed of 27 m/s, so v = 27 m/s. We also know that the second car starts from rest, so its initial velocity is 0 m/s. We can rearrange the equation to solve for a: a = 2(d - vt)/t^2. Plugging in the values, we get a = 2(1.8 km - 27 m/s * t)/(t^2). Since we want the two cars to meet at the next exit, we know that the distance traveled by both cars must be the same. Therefore, we can set the equations for both cars equal to each other and solve for t. This will give us the time it takes for the two cars to meet. Once we have t, we can plug it back into the equation for a to find the acceleration needed for the second car.

For problem two, we can use the equation v = v0 + at, where v is the final velocity, v0 is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. We know that the woman is running at a constant velocity of +5.0 m/s, so v0 = 5.0 m/s. The bus is accelerating at +1.0 m/s^2, so a = 1.0 m/s^2. We can rearrange the equation to solve for t: t = (v - v0)/a. Plugging in the values, we get t = (11 m - 5.0 m/s)/(1.0 m/s^2). This gives us the time it takes for the woman to catch up to the bus.

What is "basic material"?

Basic material refers to the fundamental concepts and principles in a particular field of study. It can include things like definitions, equations, and theories that lay the foundation for more complex ideas.

Why do I need help with basic material?

Understanding basic material is crucial for building a strong knowledge base and being able to apply it to more advanced concepts. Without a solid foundation, it can be difficult to grasp more complex ideas and solve problems effectively.

Where can I find resources to help me with basic material?

There are many resources available for learning basic material, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and study guides. Your teacher or professor may also have additional materials or recommendations for you.

What are some strategies for mastering basic material?

Some strategies for mastering basic material include actively engaging with the material through practice problems and explaining concepts to others, breaking down complex ideas into smaller, more manageable parts, and seeking help from a teacher or tutor if needed.

How can I tell if I have a good understanding of basic material?

A good way to determine if you have a good understanding of basic material is to test yourself. This can be done through practice problems, quizzes, or even explaining the material to someone else. If you can confidently explain and apply the concepts, then you likely have a good grasp on the material.