1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need some help with some problems

1. Oct 1, 2004 #1
    I can't seem to figure these problems if anyone can give me the concept and start me off that would be great.

Thanks in advance

Problem one: A car is traveling at a constant speed of 27 m/s on a highway. At the instant this car passes an entrance ramp, a second car enters the highway from the ramp. The second car starts from rest and has a constant acceleration. What acceleration must it maintain so that the two cars meet for the first time at the next exit which is 1.8 km away?

Problem two: A bus stop to pick up riders. A woman is running at a constant velocity of +5.0 m/s in an attempt to catch the bus When she is 11 m from the bus, it pulls away with a constant acceleration of +1.0 m/s^2. From this point, how much time does it take her to reach the bus if she keeps running with the same velocity?

*edit* oh and let me show you what i did so far

ok for problem one i drew a picture to visualize this and somehow came up with .405 m/s^2. I think what i did was found out the time it took to get to 1800 m with 27 m/s as its velocity and got seconds and after i did 27/66.7(which was the result from what i did previously)

with problem two i did: x=Vot+1/2at^2

and got 1.86 s which i know is wrong =(

any help would be fine thanks

Last edited: Oct 1, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2004 #2

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

Oh i replied to you in the other forum.

4. Oct 2, 2004 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?