Help Needed: Boiled vs Unboiled Eggs

• Thread starter samar
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of spinning a boiled egg versus an unboiled egg and the factors that affect the length of time it will spin. It is compared to flipping a bottle of water and how freezing the water can result in a longer spinning time. The conversation also mentions the role of energy and viscous motion in the spinning process. The person requesting help expresses gratitude to those who provided assistance.
samar
Hello

i need some help.. boiled egg will rotate for long time or unboiled and why?I hope u people will help me out..Thanx

Physics news on Phys.org
It is easier to understand if u flip a bottle of water. The fluid will move inside and cause a bit of friction ( enough to stop it spinning after 1 or 2 turns). If u freeze the water in the bottle (plastic bottle might be better) and flip ( spin it) it will turn for a very long time. Same for the egg.

It depends on how you spin it up.

Energy is lost due to the viscose motion of the liquid in the raw egg, slowing it down faster.

Thanx Lok and other guyz for help...

1. What is the difference between boiled and unboiled eggs?

Boiled eggs are cooked in boiling water until the egg whites and yolks are firm, while unboiled eggs are in their raw state and have not been subjected to heat. This cooking process changes the texture and taste of the egg, making it easier to peel and altering the flavor.

2. Is there a nutritional difference between boiled and unboiled eggs?

Yes, there is a slight difference in the nutritional content of boiled and unboiled eggs. Boiling an egg can slightly decrease its vitamin and mineral content, but it also makes some nutrients, such as protein, more easily digestible.

3. How can I tell if an egg is boiled or unboiled?

One way to tell if an egg is boiled or unboiled is by spinning it on a flat surface. A boiled egg will spin smoothly and quickly, while an unboiled egg will wobble and spin slowly. Another way is to gently shake the egg - a boiled egg will not make any noise, while an unboiled egg will make a sloshing sound.

4. Are there any safety concerns with eating unboiled eggs?

Unboiled eggs may contain bacteria, such as salmonella, which can cause food poisoning. It is generally recommended to cook eggs to a temperature of at least 160 degrees Fahrenheit to kill any harmful bacteria. However, consuming raw or lightly cooked eggs may also have health benefits, such as providing more nutrients and beneficial enzymes.

5. Can I store boiled and unboiled eggs in the same way?

No, boiled and unboiled eggs should be stored differently. Boiled eggs should be refrigerated and consumed within a week, while unboiled eggs should be stored in a cool and dry place and consumed within a few days. It is not recommended to freeze unboiled eggs, but boiled eggs can be frozen for later use.