1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need some helps how does acid affect the ionization of water ?

1. Jul 28, 2005 #1
    i need some helps....how does acid affect the ionization of water ?

....how does acid affect the ionization of water ?
    if there are more hydroximum ions in the solution,what will the change of ionization of water?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2005 #2

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This is a very basic question...why don't you read your text? Assuming a strong acid/water solution for instance, the acid will protonate the water raising the concentration of hydronium relative to hydroxide, thus raising the pH.

4. Jul 29, 2005 #3
    Yes. Very basic question. PLease consult your notes or textbook. When you add acid to "anything" (buffer solution, basic solution, neutral solution, acidic solution), it will lower the pH, even a tiny amount.

(GCT ---> don't you mean: "...thus lowering the pH")

I think that you may also be thinking about Le Chatelier's Principle here
    2H2O --> H3O + OH
    let's say you add H3O ions that are provided by the acid
    how does that shift the equilibrium? use your knowledge of Le Chatelier's Principle.

5. Jul 29, 2005 #4

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

yes, lowering the pH

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?