Why is the first ionization energy for sodium smaller than the second?

• Thread starter Pechy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, this expert is a scientist with expertise in biology, chemistry, physics, and environmental science, as well as math, statistics, and computer science. They can assist with understanding concepts, solving problems, providing resources, and reviewing homework assignments. They do not do homework for students and do not charge for their services, but appreciate compensation. They can be contacted through email, social media, or for virtual tutoring sessions.
Pechy
WHy is the first ionization energy for sodium much smaller than the secon ionization energy for sodium? i don't understand this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi there Pechy and welcome to PF,

Why do you think it is? Think about shell configuration and atomic charge.

Shell configuration ??
Atomic charge total is zero ... the ionized sodium is a positive ION.

THAT is the main reason the second electron is much harder to remove ...
for ANY object, not just a sodium atom/ion.

1. What subjects can you provide homework help for?

As a scientist, I specialize in science subjects such as biology, chemistry, physics, and environmental science. However, I am also knowledgeable in math, statistics, and computer science.

2. How can you help me with my homework?

I can assist you with understanding concepts, solving problems, and providing resources for further learning. I can also review and provide feedback on your homework assignments.

3. Will you do my homework for me?

No, I will not do your homework for you. My role is to guide and support you in understanding the material and completing your own work.

4. How much do you charge for homework help?

I do not charge for my services as a scientist. However, if you would like to compensate me for my time and expertise, I would greatly appreciate it.

5. How can I contact you for homework help?

You can contact me through my professional email or social media accounts. I am also available for virtual tutoring sessions if needed.