1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need some limit help

1. Sep 17, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the limit:
    lim (e2x-1)/tanx
    x[tex]\rightarrow[/tex]0

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

This is the indeterminate form [0/0]. Do you know L'Hopital's Rule?

4. Sep 17, 2009 #3
    No, we have not learned this rule yet. So, since it is indeterminate form, the limit would be 0, or does not exist?

5. Sep 17, 2009 #4

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It means you need to be careful. Knowing it's of the form 0/0 only tells you that it could be any value, and you need another method of evaluating it than the standard split the limit up trick.

Basically what you have is

[tex] \lim \frac{e^{2x}-1}{sin(x)}*cos(x)[/tex]

the cos(x) part stays near 1, so is fine. You need a trick to manipulate [tex] \frac{e^{2x}-1}{sin(x)}[/tex] to make it more amenable to calculation, either through Taylor series around 0 or some other method

6. Sep 17, 2009 #5

Mark44

If L'Hopital's Rule hasn't been presented yet, it's a safe bet that you don't know about Taylor's series or Maclaurin series yet. Other than these techniques, I don't have any advice. Is this a problem in the book, or is it one your instructor gave for extra credit? The best advice I can offer is to contact him/her for a hint.

7. Sep 18, 2009 #6

VietDao29

Homework Helper

Well, in limit problems, when dealing with ln, and exponential function, there are 2 well-known limits you should memorize (I know it should be somewhere in your book, and proving it is not very hard, you can give it a try if you want):

1. [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{e ^ x - 1}{x} = 1[/tex] (Limit 1)
    2. [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\ln(1 + x)}{x} = 1[/tex] (Limit 2)

When working with sin(x), there's one well-known (the most well-known, I may say) limit:

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin x}{x} = 1[/tex]. (Limit 3)

Ok, so now, back to your problem. First, we can try to expand every terms out:

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{e ^ {2x} - 1}{\tan(x)} &= \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \left( {\color{red}\frac{e ^ {2x} - 1}{\sin(x)}} \times {\color{blue}\cos(x)} \right)[/tex]

Pay attention to the red term, it's (0/0), hence one of the Indeterminate Forms, right? The blue term will tend to cos(0) = 1, which does not cause much troubles. So, here the problematic term is the red one.

Now, think of a way to make use of (Limit 1), and (Limit 3) to eliminate the Indeterminate Form 0/0. It should be easy if you know the trick. Well, let's see how far can you go. :)

8. Sep 18, 2009 #7
    Note that [tex] e^{2x} - 1 = \int_0^{2x} e^u du = 2xe^c [/tex] for some c in between 0 and 2x, by the MVT of integral calculus. Thus [tex] \frac{e^{2x} - 1}{sinx} cosx = \frac{2xe^c}{sinx} cosx = \frac{x}{sinx} 2e^c cosx [/tex].

Remember that [tex] \frac{x}{sinx} [/tex] goes to 1 for x approaching 0, so now let x go to 0 in the entire new expression. Also remember that c must also go to 0 as x goes to 0.

9. Sep 18, 2009 #8

Mark44

This advice might not be helpful to the OP if he is studying differential calculus and hasn't gotten to integral calculus yet.

10. Sep 18, 2009 #9
    e^2x - 1 = (e^x)^2 - 1 = (e^x - 1)(e^x + 1)

=> (e^2x - 1)/tanx = (e^x-1)/sinx * (e^x+1)cosx.
    What can you do now to be able to use the known limits? For example multiply by 1=a/a=b/b=c/c=...

11. Sep 18, 2009 #10

lurflurf

Homework Helper

for x!=0
    [exp(2x)-1]/tan(x)=[(exp(x)-1)/x][exp(x)+1][cos(x)]/[sin(x)/x]
    you should know
    exp'(0)=lim [(exp(x)-1)/x]=1
    sin'(0)=lim [sin(x)/x]=1
    exp(0)=1
    cos(0)=1

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook