1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need some math advice.

1. Jan 20, 2012 #1
    Recently, I started learning Analysis from the Stephen Abbott Understanding Analysis book, and I feel like I can finish it within the next month. So I was wondering, what other book should I study after this one? With an intro to analysis, would I be ready for an intro to Topology? If so, which book should I study with?

Or should I perhaps get a more advanced book on Real Analysis?

What do you guys think?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

There are several things you can do now. There isn't really a "fixed path" on what you need to take.

Some ideas:

1) Topology: this will generalize ideas like convergence and continuity. The topology is actually the study of open sets of a certain space. I don't think Abbott treats metric spaces, so I suggest you study some metric spaces first.

2) Advanced real analysis: this will likely introduce Lebesgue integration. Riemann integration is handicapped in several ways, Lebesgue integration fixes this. "Principles of real analysis" by Aliprantis and Burkinshaw is a very good book.

3) Functional analysis. The book by Kreyszig requires no real knowledge of topology or advanced analysis.. It will introduce basic functional analysis: Hilbert spaces, Banach spaces, operator algebras, etc. This book is a very good book to study after Abbott.

4. Jan 20, 2012 #3
    It did mention mention metric spaces briefly after proving what I'm guessing is a special case of the Baire Category Theorem, that R is not the countable union of no where dense sets. I'm about half way through though, so I don't know if I will ever see metric spaces again in that book.

Would you recommend any Topology book in particular? I've been looking online, but I see Point set something topology, algebraic topology, general, etc, etc. And I have no idea which one is the one for me you know?

For now, I think I will go with the advanced analysis one you mentioned, though I still have to finish the Abbott one. Since I read somewhere that there exist other types of integration, I've been very eager to learn more, and I might finally understand what the wiki article talked about... lol.

Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook