Quantum Optics Graduate Study at TAMU: Advice from a Physics Degree Holder

• Thread starter ahiazaa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physical
In summary: Your Name]In summary, Abdulrhman from KSA has recently completed his Bachelor's degree in physics and is now planning to pursue a Master's and PhD in Quantum Optics at Texas A&M University. He is worried about his background and has asked for recommendations on whether his selection of QMO and TAMU is good. He also seeks advice on the best books to review before starting his Master's program. Our expert suggests some fundamental books and recommends taking advantage of pre-semester review courses. Lastly, they offer encouragement and assure Abdulrhman that his dedication and determination are what truly matters.
ahiazaa
Hi my friends

I'm Abdulrhman from KSA
I just finished my BC degree at physics before 1 year

Now I'm planing to continue my study (Ms &PHD) degree
I've select Quantum Optics at TAMU (Texas A&M University) at USA to do my grad study

But I'm worry because I fill my background is not good enoughso I hope you to help my
first is my selection good or not (I mean QMO & TAMU) because I came from University has
"988" international ranking and TAMU has 14 !
and what is the best books at (classical mechanics , quantum mechanics , EM , statistical mechanics and mathematical physics ) to improve my background before starting Master study ?finally I'm so sorry for my English (grammar & writing) Mistakes
and many thanks for your Attention

all the best
Abdulrhman

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Abdulrhman,

Congratulations on completing your Bachelor's degree in physics! Pursuing a Master's and PhD in Quantum Optics at Texas A&M University is a great choice. TAMU is a highly reputable university with a strong research program in Quantum Optics. As for your concern about your background, I would like to assure you that it is not uncommon for students to feel that way before starting their graduate studies. Your selection of QMO and TAMU is based on your interest and the strength of the university in this field, which is a good starting point.

To strengthen your background before starting the Master's program, I would recommend reviewing the fundamentals of classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, statistical mechanics, and mathematical physics. Some good books to consider are "Classical Mechanics" by John R. Taylor, "Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths, "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths, "Statistical Mechanics" by R.K. Pathria, and "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Mary L. Boas. These are just some suggestions, and you can also ask your professors or colleagues for their recommendations.

Additionally, I would highly recommend taking advantage of any pre-semester review courses or workshops offered by your university. These can provide a refresher on key concepts and help you feel more confident before starting your graduate studies.

Lastly, do not worry about your English skills. It is clear that you are dedicated and determined to improve, and that is what matters the most. Keep practicing and don't be afraid to ask for help when needed.

I wish you all the best in your studies at TAMU. You have made a great choice, and I have no doubt that with hard work and dedication, you will excel in your graduate studies.

1. What kind of physical activity should I do?

The type of physical activity you should do depends on your personal goals and physical abilities. Some options include cardio exercises like running or cycling, strength training with weights or bodyweight exercises, and flexibility exercises like yoga or stretching.

2. How often should I exercise?

The recommended frequency of exercise is at least 150 minutes of moderate intensity or 75 minutes of vigorous intensity per week. This equates to about 30 minutes of exercise, 5 days a week. However, it's important to listen to your body and adjust the frequency based on your individual needs and limitations.

3. How can I stay motivated to exercise?

Staying motivated to exercise can be challenging, but setting realistic goals, finding a workout buddy, and varying your routine can help. It's also important to remember the physical and mental benefits of exercise and to celebrate small achievements along the way.

4. Should I consult a doctor before starting a new exercise routine?

If you have any pre-existing medical conditions or are over the age of 40, it's recommended to consult with a doctor before starting a new exercise routine. They can advise on any precautions or modifications you may need to make to ensure your safety and success.

5. What should I do if I experience pain or discomfort during exercise?

If you experience pain or discomfort during exercise, it's important to stop and assess the cause. You may need to adjust your form or reduce the intensity of your workout. If the pain persists, it's best to consult a doctor to avoid any potential injuries.