Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Need Some Possible Explanations, Please

1. Jan 29, 2014 #1

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you get grossed out easily, stop reading now.

This is perhaps the most awkward thread I've ever started here. But I'm a bit perplexed at what to think of this situation, and I need some ideas.

I go to work very early, since I have a 1-hour commute in the morning. I left this morning at 6:00 am after a routine morning. My husband left shortly after I did, which is typical. No one else lives here, just the two of us.

I came home from work at 5:30 pm, which is about the usual time on days I don't go to the gym. I was surprised to find the downstairs toilet was, erm, full. It was totally clear when I left this morning. The only explanation I could think of was, my husband clogged it and didn't have time to clear it this morning. This is totally atypical of him, he fixes *everything*, but I couldn't think of another explanation.

So when he came home tonight I asked him about it. He was perplexed - he knew nothing about it! I called my daughter who lives in the area - did she come over today? No, she said, she was at work all day.

I completely trust my husband and daughter. They are both without embarrassment about such things, and would "confess" readily and even with a bit of humor.

Nothing in the house is disturbed. Nothing is missing (that I can tell).

We don't typically lock our doors - we live in a rural area. There are people out here, though, it's not like we live on the moon.

From what I can tell, someone came into our house and pooped in our toilet and did not flush. They did not take anything or disturb anything. What am I to think of this?

(Yes we will be locking the doors now, and that makes me very sad :frown:.)

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2014 #2
  4. Jan 30, 2014 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Did it flush ok after you noticed it? I had a septic tank that backed up, but flushing was out of the question.

5. Jan 30, 2014 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Did the Mystery Pooper leave the seat up or down? Any similar incidents experienced by your neighbors?

6. Jan 30, 2014 #5

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

It's possible that there is a clog in your pipes and thus the toilet may not have flushed properly after whoever last used it. My suggestion would be to call an expert plumber and have your pipes checked out.

7. Jan 30, 2014 #6

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We're nearly positive it wasn't malfunctioning plumbing. The tub is on the same line but closer to the septic tank, and it's lower than the toilet, but it's clear. And I've experienced that kind of plumbing malfunction before but this didn't look like that at all.

And yes it flushed as usual. Btw it's an old toilet, not one of the new "low flow" types. These older ones hardly ever clog!

The seat was down but the lid was open.

After looking at all possibilities, we think it was a neighbor kid. He's about 11 and hangs out in the area a lot. He's a nice kid, very gregarious and outgoing, but maybe a bit immature. His (single) dad works long hours and frequently travels on business. His older sister (14 years old) is supposed to look after him, but she's kind of flaky.

I don't think I want to ask the kid about it. If it wasn't him, that would be an awkward conversation. And if it was him, that would also be an awkward conversation. I don't mind that he comes by from time to time to visit, and I don't want to discourage that. But we will be locking the doors for a while - that gets our point across pretty clearly.

All in all, it's a weird situation!

8. Jan 30, 2014 #7
    Do you live in an area where people normally don't worry about locking their doors? I grew up automatically locking doors. There were stories we heard as kids about magical places where people don't lock their doors. We thought it was hyperbole.

9. Jan 30, 2014 #8

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do you still use film cameras? And drop the film off at a one hour photo? And does the guy that works there seem to know everyone in your family?

I'd be very worried.

10. Jan 30, 2014 #9

Dembadon

Gold Member

:rofl:

11. Jan 30, 2014 #10
    Yes it is a very strange concept. I would still lock my door if I lived in a shack in the wildness.

Assuming that lisab lives in a magical land it is probably a poop fairy.

12. Jan 30, 2014 #11
  13. Jan 30, 2014 #12

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's a good reason to do a little scientific investigation. You did take a sample before flushing didn't you? :yuck:

14. Jan 30, 2014 #13
    If you haven't notified your local law enforcement yet, you should do so as soon as possible. They will want to know because this is actually a fairly common occurrence. Police refer to these prowlers as "poopers", and you were fortunate that he (it is almost always an adolescent "he") did it in the toilet. Usually, they do it in the middle of your bed, on the living-room carpet, or on the dining-room table. The police can also tell you what other "souvenirs" he may have left--which I'm not going to mention in this forum. This is only an initial step in what could be an escalating scale of harassment.

This is definitely something to be taken seriously--despite its somewhat humorous overtones. Locking all windows and doors when you're away is good. Don't relax after a few months of inaction and start leaving them unlocked again.

15. Jan 30, 2014 #14

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks, klimatos, this is a bit along the lines of what I was thinking, that it might be...complicated. We're definitely locking up everything now.

16. Jan 30, 2014 #15
    Do any of your neighbors know that you don't typically lock your doors? Do any of them have children who could have been screaming mommy mommy, daddy daddy I have to go now. Kids also are most likely to forget to flush.

17. Jan 30, 2014 #16

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We don't broadcast it, but it's not what I would call a secret, either.

The non-flush is what made me think of the kid down the street. Or, as I just posted, someone who's "not right".

18. Jan 30, 2014 #17
    I think he's right, though, that you should also tell the cops about it. It could be your house isn't the only one where this has happened, or, even it was the perpetrator's first such crime he might do it again in other houses.

19. Jan 30, 2014 #18
    Zoobyshoe is right. If it is the kid you think it is, he needs help badly. The sooner he gets it, the better his chances are of a good life. You don't want to be an enabler. Report it. You don't have to tell the police your suspicions, necessarily. They probably share them.

20. Jan 30, 2014 #19

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Since you have a septic tank, that would be my primary suspect. Have you had it pumped out in recent memory? A toilet is the path of least resistance. I find it odd no other evidence of an intruder was apparent. Break and poop is not a particularly common crime in rural areas. Security tape at suspect points is a great, cheap option. Living in fear of your neighbors is unhealthy and, in your case, unfounded. I'm not saying locking doors is a bad idea, but, not that difficult to thwart. Defeating a security seal is difficult - providing you avoid breaking it yourself and forget it was there.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  21. Feb 5, 2014 #20

~christina~

Gold Member

I would agree with this but I would have probably thrown out liquid bottles in the refridgerator. The individual(s) probably went through that too. Disturbing event to say the least.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook