I need some serious help with my homework problems

In summary: The magnitude of the force on the skier is found by multiplying the tension in the rope by the mass of the skier.
Kadaj
I'm on static/kinetic friction, tension force, and Equilibrium applications of Newton's Laws of motion.

I have many homework problems that baffles my mind and need serious help understanding them. So, any help will be appreciated.

1] 'A large cube (mass= 25 kg) being accelerated across a horizontal frictionless surface by a horizontal force P. A small cube (mass= 4.0 kg) is in contact with the front surface of the large cube and will slide downward unless P is sufficiently large. The coefficient of static friction between the cubes is 0.17. What is the smallest magnitude that P can have in order to keep the small cube from sliding downward?'

2] 'A supertanker (mass= 1.70e8 kg) is moving with a constant velocity. Its engines generate a forward thrust of 7.40e5 N. Determine (a) the magnitude of the resistive force exerted on the tanker by the water and (b) the magnitude of the upward buoyant force exerted on the tanker by the water'
The problem here is that i don't understand what it wants =(

3] 'A circus clown who weighs 890 N is at rest. The coeffienct of static friction between the clown's feet and the ground is .53. He pulls vertically downwards on a rope that passes around three pulleys and is tied around his feet. What is the minimum force that the clown must exert to yank his feet out from under himself'
I thought the answer would just be (.53)(890), but that gves me 471.7, but my teacher has his answer as 308 N, Any ideas how he got this?

4] 'A skier is pulled up a slope at a constant velocity by a tow bar. The slope is inclinced at 25.0 degrees with respect tot he horizontal. The force applied to the skier by the tow bar is parallel to the slope. The skier's mass is 55.0 kg, and the coefficient of kinetic friction between the skis and the snow is .120. Find the magnitude of the force that the tow bar exerts on the skier'

5] A mountain climber, in the process of crossing btween two cliffs by a rope,pauses to rest. She weighs 535 N. She is closer to the left cliff than to the right cliff, with reselt that the tensions in the left and right sides of the rope are not the same. Find the tension in the rope to the left and to the right of the mountain climber. (theres a picture in the book that shows the climber which i will try and draw on paint) The link to the picture is here: http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?selected=1002062

These are the problems that are causing me trouble Please anyone help me I seriously need it

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Let's start at 1:
We know that both cubes must have the same HORIZONTAL acceleration "a".
Set up the horizontal equations of motion for BOTH cubes, and solve for "a" and the normal force between large&small cubes in terms of P!

Question 2. Think of of Newton's laws. A force is an object's mass multiplied by its acceleration. You were given something in the question regarding the tanker's movement. The same principle applies for both (a) and (b).

What is the best way to approach a difficult homework problem?

The best way to approach a difficult homework problem is to break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. You can also try working on similar, easier problems first to gain a better understanding of the concepts involved.

How do I know if I'm on the right track with my homework?

You can check your progress by comparing your answers with the answer key or by asking your teacher for feedback. It's also helpful to double-check your work and make sure you followed all the steps correctly.

What should I do if I don't understand a homework problem?

If you don't understand a homework problem, don't be afraid to ask for help. You can ask your teacher, a classmate, or even search online for explanations or tutorials. It's important to seek clarification and understanding before moving on to the next problem.

How can I manage my time better when working on homework problems?

One way to manage your time better when working on homework problems is to create a schedule and stick to it. Set aside specific blocks of time for each subject or assignment and try to avoid distractions. It's also helpful to start with the most challenging problems while you have the most energy and focus.

What can I do if I consistently struggle with certain types of homework problems?

If you consistently struggle with certain types of homework problems, try to identify the specific areas that are causing difficulty and focus on improving those skills. You can also seek extra help from your teacher or a tutor, or find additional resources such as textbooks or online tutorials to help you better understand the concepts.