Sites with LOG Sums to Practice Math

• Thread starter dilan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Log Sums
In summary, the conversation is about finding and practicing sums in logarithms, with a specific example of showing that log(xy)base16 can be converted into a sum. The conversation also discusses the fundamental property of logs and how to relate logs with different bases. The final steps are shown to prove the given example using these concepts.
dilan
Hi,

I just need a little help in getting some sums. Can anyone of you give me a site where I can find sums in Log so that I can do them and practice a lot.

I mean like sums in this type

Show that log(xy)base16 = 1/2log(X)base4 + 1/2log(Y)base4

Thanks just need some sums of this type to practice my self.

Thanks a lot people just give me a few links:smile:

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Okay, don't bother with the base change first:
Firstly:
How can you change your left-hand side from a product into a sum?

Well I mean

Ok I mean not converting to a sum. I mean to prove that you can convert it to a sum.
I mean to prove only 1 side to get the left hand side. And then show that it could be proved.

I think I expressed in the correct way because I am from a non-english country now learning in the english medium

Well, but a fundamental property about any log is that we have log(xy)=log(x)+log(y)

Ya you I know that, but you can convert it to sums like I've shown above isn't it?

Let's take it in detail.
We have:
[tex]\log_{16}(xy)=\log_{16}(x)+\log_{16}(y)[/tex]
by the fundamental property of logs.

Now, we need to relate logs with different bases!
We have, for bases a, b, the identities:
[tex]x=a^{\log_{a}(x)}=b^{\log_{b}(x)}, a=b^{log_{b}(a)[/tex]
Thus, we get:
[tex]b^{\log_{b}(x)}=(b^{\log_{b}(a)})^{\log_{a}(x)}=b^{\log_{b}(a)\log_{a}(x)}[/tex]
Since logs are unique, we therefore have:
[tex]\log_{b}(x)=\log_{b}(a)\log_{a}(x)[/tex]
Now, let b=4, a=16, and get your result.

1. What is a "Sites with LOG Sums to Practice Math"?

"Sites with LOG Sums to Practice Math" are websites that offer various math practice problems involving logarithms. These sites typically provide a range of difficulty levels and topics to help individuals improve their math skills and understanding of logarithms.

2. Why are sites with LOG sums important for practicing math?

Sites with LOG sums are important for practicing math because logarithms are an essential concept in mathematics and are often used in various fields such as science, engineering, and finance. Regular practice on these sites can help individuals master logarithms and improve their overall math skills.

3. Are the practice problems on these sites suitable for all levels?

Yes, most sites with LOG sums offer practice problems for all levels, from beginners to advanced learners. These sites usually have a range of difficulty levels to choose from, allowing individuals to start at their current level and progress as they improve.

4. Can these sites be used for test preparation?

Yes, these sites can be used for test preparation as they offer a variety of practice problems similar to those found on standardized tests. They can help individuals become familiar with the format and types of questions asked on tests involving logarithms.

5. Are there any free sites with LOG sums to practice math?

Yes, there are several free sites with LOG sums to practice math available online. These sites may offer limited features compared to paid sites, but they can still be an excellent resource for practicing logarithms and improving math skills.