1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need the molar enthalpy of formation

1. May 25, 2006 #1
    I have a chemical equation and the molar enthalpies of formation for its products, along with the total change in enthalpy for the reaction. With this I can easily find the total enthalpy of the reactants. In this case, there are two reactants and I need the molar enthalpy of formation of one of them. How can I achieve this knowing nothing about the second reactant?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2006 #2
    Only if you are computing the standard molar enthalpy of formation...if one of the reactants is in its most stable allotropic form, its enthalpy of formation is zero (because it exists that way in the standard state anyway so you don't have to form it...look up the textbook for a list of allotropes which are assigned a standard molar enthalpy of formation equal to zero).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?