1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need the steps

1. May 12, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Problem statement: Find the solution to the differential equation.

1) dy/dx= x^3-2y/x solution is: y= c/x^2 + x^3/5 the equation is linear but i do not know the steps.

The same goes for the following:

2. (x+y)dx - (x-y)dy=0 Solution is: arctan(y/x) - ln (square root of)x^2+y^2=c

6. xdy/dx +xy=1-y y(1)=0 solution is: y= x^-1(1-e^1-x)

8. xdy/dx +2y= sinx/x y(2)=1 solution is: (4+cos2-cosx)/x^2

12. dy/dx +y = 1/1+e^x solution is: y= ce^-x + e^-xln(1+e^x)

15. (e^x +1)dy/dx= y-ye^x solution is: y= c/cosh^2(x/2)

17. dy/dx= e^2x + 3y solution is: y= ce^3x-e^2x

20. y`= e^x+y solution is: e^x + e^-y=c

22. dy/dx= x^2-1/y^2+1 y(-1)=1 solution is: y^3+3y-x^3+3x=2

30. dy/dx= y^3/1-2xy^2 y(0)=1 solution is: xy^2 -ln[y]=0

31. (x^2y+xy-y)dx + (x^2y-2x^2)dy=0 solution is:[x+ln[x]+x^-1+y-2ln[y]=c

Please show me how you solve these problems. I know that 15,20,22,&31 are separable. The rest are linear except for 2, its homogeneous.

3. The attempt at a solution

For linear equations I am to find the integrating factor which is e to the power of the coefficient of y mulitplied by t. (e^xt) Then I multiply this factor with the equation and integrate to find the value of y. For seperable I am supposed to split the equation with x on one side and y on the other then integrate to find y. I tried doing that but could not figure out how to get the solutions that my professors gave me. Any help please?

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2009 #2
    any help please?

4. May 15, 2009 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Pick one or two problems and show us what you have tried, and we'll take it from there. I can't speak for everyone on this forum, but I'm not particularly excited about doing 10 or 11 problems for you.

5. May 15, 2009 #4
    Ok, for problem 1, I re-arranged the equation so that dy/dx -2y = x\2 then I found that the integrating factor is e^-2t since -2 is the coefficient of y. Then I integrate that but i do not know how the Dr. came up with the solution that he got because I got something different.

This is the correct solution: y= c/x^2 + x^3/5

For number 22, I got (y^2 +1)dy= (x^2-1)dx
    then, (y^3/3) +y= (x^3/3) -x
    then (y^3/3) +y -(x^3/3)+x
    then multiply all that by 3

y^3 +3y -x^3+3x=0 boundary conditions are y(-1)= 1

so I replaced y with -1 in the equation and x with 1 and that way I would get c. But c did not equal 2, why is that? Please help

6. May 15, 2009 #5
    For 17 integrating factor is e^-3t so I re-arrange the equation and multiply it by e^-3t. I got
    dy/dx e^-3t - 3ye^-3t= e^2x-3t

Then I integrate it, but how do you get y= ce^3x-e^2x by integration?

7. May 15, 2009 #6

Mark44

How did you get dy/dx - 2y = x/2 starting from dy/dx = x3 - 2y/x?

If you rearrange the equation to get all the y and dy/dx terms on one side, you get this:
    dy/dx + 2y/x = x3

If I'm not mistaken, the integrating factor is 2ln(x). If you multiply both sides of the equation by this integrating factor, what you have on the left is the derivative of y*2ln(x), so when you integrate it, you get y*2ln(x).

8. May 15, 2009 #7

Mark44

You have too many variables, with y, x, and t. You should have just two variables, y and x, since the original problem is given in terms of y and x. With that change, your integrating factor is e-3x.

Then, the left side should look like dy/dx * e-3x - 3y e-3x, which happens to be the derivative with respect to x of ye-3x. If you integrate the derivative of ye-3x, you get ye-3x (plus a constant, but you can take care of that on the other side of the equation).

So, what you have is ye-3x = [itex]\int e^{2x}e^{-3x} dx[/itex]. Simplify the integrand on the right before integrating. After you have done the integration, solve for y. That's the solution you're trying to find.

9. May 15, 2009 #8
    For problem 1 I divided by x so x^3 divided by x was x^2 but I`m not sure if that is correct. The final answer should be y= c/x^2 + x^3/5 but I do not know how that was given. Can you show me?

10. May 16, 2009 #9

Mark44

I am sure that that is NOT correct. The equation you started with is dy/dx= x^3-2y/x. Rearranging this gives dy/dx + 2y/x = x^3. If you divide both sides of the equation by x, you do get x^2 on the right, but you get a mess on the left side that is not help.

Don't worry so much about what the final answer is: worry instead about understanding how to solve these problems. As I said in post 6, I think the integrating factor is 2ln(x), ln(x^2) (they are the same, if x > 0).

Multiply both sides of your initial equation by the integrating factor. Read what I wrote in post 7. The technique in problem 1 and problem 17 is the same.

11. May 16, 2009 #10
    yes I know both are linear equations. But, can someone please give me a clear step-by-step on how to do it? I showed you what my method and answer was but couldn`t get it to be the same as the correct answer.

12. May 16, 2009 #11

Mark44

What part of these don't you understand?
    For problem 17:
    For problem 1:
    The title of the thread you started is "I need the steps." I am giving you a broad outline of how to get the solutions to a couple of these problems. Now it's up to you to take the steps I've outlined.

13. May 16, 2009 #12
    For problem 1. I re-arranged and got y`(x) +2y = x^3. Thus, the integrating factor is e^2x, is that correct? Now, I multiply by e^2x and continue, correct? Or is this method wrong?

14. May 16, 2009 #13

Mark44

Here's what you started with:
    dy/dx= x^3-2y/x

How do you get dy/dx + 2y = x^3 from that? If you add 2y/x to both sides, you get dy/dx + 2y/x = x^3

If you then multiply by x on both sides, you get
    xdy/dx + 2y = x^4, not dy/dx + 2y = x^3.

15. May 16, 2009 #14
    you multiply both sides by x and then move 2y to the other side.

16. May 16, 2009 #15

Mark44

And then you get xdy/dx + 2y = x^4, not dy/dx + 2y = x^3, as you show. I have told you what the integrating factor for problem 1 is in posts 6, 9, and 11. The difficulties you are having finding the integrating factors seems to be from a weakness in some pretty basic algebra, so unless I'm wrong, you're going to have a real tough time completing one of these problems, let alone all of them.

17. May 16, 2009 #16
    sorry I missed that, now I multiply all that by e^2. After that, I integrate again right?

18. May 16, 2009 #17

Mark44

NO, NO, NO! The integrating factor is NOT e2x!

19. May 16, 2009 #18
    why not? Is it e^integral 2x or e^x^2/2 ?

20. May 16, 2009 #19

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, it is e^integral 2x. That is not e^(x^2/2).

21. May 16, 2009 #20

Mark44

Because you don't have a differential equation of the form y' + p(x)y = q(x), that's why not.

What you have is xy' + 2y = x^4.

What do you need to do to get this equation to look like y' + p(x)y = q(x)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook