Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need to buy polarised transducers

  1. Oct 13, 2005 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2005 #2


    User Avatar

    Staff: Mentor

  4. Oct 14, 2005 #3


    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

    Ah, not so! While is virtually impossible to generate shear waves in gases, shear waves are possible in liquids and solids, or basically any elastic material.

    Sound can be induced as shear waves in addition to longitudinal waves. And there are hybrid waves (Lamb waves). All these are well known in the application of ultrasonics in non-destructive testing and imaging.

    For example -
    Ultrasonic methods for characterizing polymeric material
    http://pubs.acs.org/hotartcl/ci/00/feb/alig.html [Broken]

    Generation of Horizontally Polarized Shear Waves with EMAT Transducers

    I'll see if I can answer the OP later.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2017
  5. Oct 14, 2005 #4


    User Avatar

    Staff: Mentor

    No kidding? I never knew that. Thanks, Astro, I learn something new every day, especially here on PF.:biggrin:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Similar Discussions: I need to buy polarised transducers
  1. Transducer amplifier (Replies: 3)

  2. Capacitive transducer (Replies: 39)