Solving WKB Method Problems with Confusing Potential and Turning Points

• Thread starter physicist 12345
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ideas
In summary, the wkb approximation allows for determination of the transition coefficient for a particle of mass and energy moving in a barrier. However, there is no question of transmission, only some penetration.
physicist 12345
New poster has been reminded to use the Homework Help Template and post just one question per thread.
Hello every body i have two problems and i need a help from you

the problems are attached as a photo
these two problems about wkb method

1) at the first one i am confused some thing about the potential when x>0
what i did i studied the case when x<0 and take my turning points to be (negative infinity and 0) which also some thing confusing me but this is what i can do(if it wrong please correct it) now when the particle is going to positive x is it will feel a barrier potential even the potential is positive and energy is -ve if the answer is yes then i need a help to complete the solution

also i want a help for taking the turning point i think it when the energy equal the potential but i think this is not consist with what i see in most problems on tunneling

2) at second problem i divide it to two regions the at 1st region take turning point at (-x/v0 and 0)and 2nd case when x>0 i take turning point (0,x/vo) then make two integration is it correct or no ?

Attachments

• asu.png
    asu.png
    26.4 KB · Views: 377
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi there,
First of all you need to not erase the homework template. List the relevant equations, make clear what variables you use, etc.
Then post your working.

Likes berkeman
BvU said:
Hi there,
First of all you need to not erase the homework template. List the relevant equations, make clear what variables you use, etc.
Then post your working.
Ok .. really iam sorry .. should i edit the post ?

I'm not a mentor, so personally I'm fine. Point is I don't know where you are running into problems. Is the essence of the wkb method clear ? So what equation do you set up ?

BvU said:
I'm not a mentor, so personally I'm fine. Point is I don't know where you are running into problems. Is the essence of the wkb method clear ? So what equation do you set up ?

this is what i did at first problem .. and i can't complete .. please also if you may help me how to determine turning points in such cases ..

Attachments

• 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 345
I'm getting tired of opening the problem description, so:
Problem statement
Use the wkb approximation estimate the transition coefficient of a particle of mass m and energy E (E<0) moving in the barrier $$V(x) = -V_0\ \ (x < 0) \quad V(x) = ax^{1/2} \ \ (x \ge 0)$$where a is a positive real constant.

(That wasn't so hard! Much harder to decipher your handwritten solution attempt)​

Do I know what a transition coefficient is in this context ? Can I assume the exercise composer means transmission coefficient ? But there is no question of transmission, only some penetration...

## - V_0 < E < 0## with time independent SE solution ##e^{ikx} ##. Classical turning point is ##x = 0## Case ##a=0## can be done analytically. Been there, done that ?

Now what if ##a > 0## but still a small disturbance ? WKB ! Meaning: ...

BvU said:
I'm getting tired of opening the problem description, so:
Problem statement
Use the wkb approximation estimate the transition coefficient of a particle of mass m and energy E (E<0) moving in the barrier $$V(x) = -V_0\ \ (x < 0) \quad V(x) = ax^{1/2} \ \ (x \ge 0)$$where a is a positive real constant.

(That wasn't so hard! Much harder to decipher your handwritten solution attempt)​

Do I know what a transition coefficient is in this context ? Can I assume the exercise composer means transmission coefficient ? But there is no question of transmission, only some penetration...

## - V_0 < E < 0## with time independent SE solution ##e^{ikx} ##. Classical turning point is ##x = 0## Case ##a=0## can be done analytically. Been there, done that ?

Now what if ##a > 0## but still a small disturbance ? WKB ! Meaning: ...
sorry for bad handwriting (i made it so quickly )
yes you could assume that we want transmission coefficient
Ok if there a small penetration this may assumed to be transmission ,, we find transmission coefficient to determine the probability of such penetration

1. What is the importance of checking my ideas as a scientist?

As a scientist, it is crucial to check your ideas because it ensures that your research is accurate and reliable. By checking your ideas, you can identify any flaws or errors in your hypothesis or experiment, which can lead to more accurate and valid results.

2. How should I go about checking my ideas as a scientist?

There are several ways to check your ideas as a scientist, such as conducting additional research, performing experiments, seeking peer review, and using critical thinking skills. It is also helpful to have a colleague or mentor review your ideas to gain a different perspective.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when checking my ideas as a scientist?

One common mistake to avoid when checking your ideas as a scientist is confirmation bias, which is the tendency to only look for evidence that supports your hypothesis. It is also important to avoid overlooking contradictory evidence and to remain open-minded throughout the process.

4. How can I ensure that my ideas are accurate and valid?

To ensure the accuracy and validity of your ideas, it is essential to use reliable sources, follow the scientific method, and carefully analyze your data. It is also helpful to have your methods and results peer-reviewed by other scientists in your field.

5. Can I still make discoveries if I continuously check my ideas?

Absolutely! In fact, checking and revising your ideas is an essential part of the scientific process and can lead to new and groundbreaking discoveries. By constantly evaluating and improving your ideas, you can make more significant contributions to your field of study.