Reboot Your Passion for Physics: Ideas to Get Started

• Thread starter sy7321
  • Start date
In summary, the person is looking for advice on how to get back into physics and Feynman is a good resource.
sy7321
Hello,

I used to be really passionate about physics and my degree fizzled out due to life problems. I need to dive back in and get interested again.

Any ideas? I keep trying to start from scratch but I think that's a poor idea.

I left off around Modern Physics / Quantum Mechanics and Differential Equations -- I should jump right back into those, right?

Looking for opinions about ways to reboot. Getting involved in a community sounds like a good start.

Physics news on Phys.org
You did not give much detail. You should maybe review EVERYTHING you studied because you lost your conditioning in everything. This means, start at the beginning for all the fundamental courses, and you might need to study on your own this way for at least a couple of years. Maybe also a return to school for some courses might be more useful, if you are allowed.

Yeah, I do need to have a crash course in the fundamentals again. This is going to take real discipline. I'll need to figure out how to get the motivation.

sy7321 said:
I need to dive back in and get interested again.
sy7321 said:
I'll need to figure out how to get the motivation.
First, you will have to define "need/motivation" for us; we can't do it all for you.

sy7321 said:
Yeah, I do need to have a crash course in the fundamentals again. This is going to take real discipline. I'll need to figure out how to get the motivation.
I think you need more Feynman:

http://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/
Couldn't hurt...but you need other stuff as well.

Likes Klystron
Bystander said:
First, you will have to define "need/motivation" for us; we can't do it all for you.

I suppose I meant that. I have to find it, nothing you can do...maybe post inspirational links but that's about it. Or a pep talk. Lol.

1. How can I reignite my passion for physics?

There are a few ways you can reboot your passion for physics. One idea is to take a break from your usual routine and explore a new topic or branch of physics that interests you. Another idea is to attend a physics conference or workshop to engage with other passionate physicists and learn about cutting-edge research. You can also try finding a mentor or joining a physics club or discussion group to share your enthusiasm with others.

2. What can I do if I feel stuck in my physics studies or career?

If you're feeling stuck in your physics studies or career, it may be helpful to reflect on why you were initially drawn to physics and what aspects of the subject still excite you. You can also try setting new goals or challenges for yourself, such as learning a new coding language or participating in a research project. Additionally, seeking out new learning opportunities or seeking advice from a mentor can help you gain new perspectives and reignite your passion.

3. How can I balance my passion for physics with other responsibilities?

Balancing your passion for physics with other responsibilities can be challenging, but it's important to prioritize your time and energy. Make a schedule and set aside dedicated time for your physics pursuits, whether it's attending a lecture or working on a research project. It's also important to take breaks and prioritize self-care to avoid burnout.

4. What resources are available for someone looking to reboot their passion for physics?

There are many resources available for those looking to reignite their passion for physics. You can find online communities, such as forums or social media groups, where you can connect with other physicists and discuss ideas. There are also numerous books, podcasts, and YouTube channels dedicated to exploring and explaining various physics concepts. Additionally, attending conferences, workshops, or joining a physics club can provide valuable learning and networking opportunities.

5. How can I use my passion for physics to make a positive impact in the world?

There are endless ways to use your passion for physics to make a positive impact in the world. You can pursue research in areas such as renewable energy, climate change, or medical physics, which have direct applications to improving people's lives. You can also use your knowledge and skills to educate and inspire others, whether it's through teaching, outreach programs, or science communication. Additionally, you can use your critical thinking and problem-solving abilities to tackle global issues and contribute to creating a better future for all.