I need to figure this out: (A×B)⋅C

In summary, the student was trying to solve a homework problem involving vectors, trigonometry, and the right hand rule.
physicsquestion

Homework Statement

Calculate (A×B)⋅C for the three vectors A with magnitude A = 5.00 and angle θA = 25.1∘ measured in the sense from the +x - axis toward the +y - axis, B with B = 4.18 and θB = 62.0∘, and C with magnitude C = 5.82 and in the +z - direction. Vectors A and B are in the xy-plane.

Homework Equations

Magnitude of (AXB)=A*B*sin(theta)
Magnitude of (A dot B)=A*B*cos(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

To be quite honest, I wasn't sure where to start. I know that A and B are 36.9 degrees apart and C is perpendicular to both of them, but I don't know where to go after this...Please help me!

Physics news on Phys.org
physicsquestion said:

Homework Statement

Calculate (A×B)⋅C for the three vectors A with magnitude A = 5.00 and angle θA = 25.1∘ measured in the sense from the +x - axis toward the +y - axis, B with B = 4.18 and θB = 62.0∘, and C with magnitude C = 5.82 and in the +z - direction. Vectors A and B are in the xy-plane.

Homework Equations

Magnitude of (A dot B)=A*B*cos(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

To be quite honest, I wasn't sure where to start. I know that A and B are 36.9 degrees apart and C is perpendicular to both of them, but I don't know where to go after this...Please help me!

Remember that the cross product gives you a vector, and remember to keep your left hand in your pocket!

I think I am supposed to use trig to figure out the vector components, but I never got the hang of trigonometry...Could I get help with solving?

physicsquestion said:
I think I am supposed to use trig to figure out the vector components, but I never got the hang of trigonometry...Could I get help with solving?

The equation that you give for the cross product is correct for the magnitude. (theta = angle between vectors A and B). The result of a cross product is a vector, however, which has magnitude and direction.

I'll try to figure out the vectors for each...it might take a while.

physicsquestion said:
I'll try to figure out the vectors for each...it might take a while.

Do you know how to convert from the "polar" representation of vectors (which is what you were given) to the "rectangular" representation? You use the rectangular representation to do the cross product more easily...

berkeman said:
convert from the "polar" representation
No, that's quite unnecessary here. Much easier to stay in polar for this one.
physicsquestion said:
physicsquestion said:
I know that A and B are 36.9 degrees apart
Right, so what is theta in that cross product equation?
The next challenge is to figure out the direction of AxB. There are two parts to this.
In general, if I take the cross product of two vectors to get a third, a x b = c, what is the angle between a and c?
The second part is to get the sign right. This is tricky because a x b is equal and opposite to b x a. As Quantum Defect indicated, you need to use the 'right hand rule'. (This is because the answer is governed by a convention and is part of the definition of cross product. It could have been defined the other way and all of the mathematics would still work, but it's necessary to have an agreed definition and the right hand rule is it.)

Likes berkeman

What does (A×B)⋅C mean?

(A×B)⋅C is a mathematical expression that represents the result of multiplying two quantities, A and B, and then multiplying that product by a third quantity, C. It is also known as the product of A and B multiplied by C.

How do I solve (A×B)⋅C?

To solve (A×B)⋅C, you can use the distributive property of multiplication, which states that the product of a number and a sum is equal to the sum of the products of the number and each addend. This means you can rewrite the expression as (A⋅C)×B and then multiply A and C, followed by multiplying the result by B.

What is the order of operations for (A×B)⋅C?

The order of operations for (A×B)⋅C is the same as for any other mathematical expression: parentheses, exponents, multiplication and division (from left to right), and then addition and subtraction (from left to right).

Can (A×B)⋅C be simplified?

Yes, (A×B)⋅C can be simplified if any of the quantities A, B, or C are known and can be reduced to a smaller, simpler form. For example, if A is equal to 1, then the expression becomes B⋅C. Similarly, if B is equal to 0, then the entire expression becomes 0.

How is (A×B)⋅C related to other mathematical operations?

(A×B)⋅C is related to other mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, and division through the distributive property of multiplication. It is also related to the concept of the order of operations, as it follows the same rules for solving mathematical expressions in the correct order.