I need to find K for the given conditions

• Thread starter gtfish
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conditions
In summary, the conversation discusses determining equilibrium and shifting of a system based on various conditions provided. The given reaction has a K value of .0900 at 25 degrees Celsius. For the conditions A) and B), the system will shift towards the products to react the excess gases. For condition C), the system is at equilibrium. The conversation also mentions the importance of calculating K for each given condition and using it to determine if the system is at equilibrium or not.
gtfish
I'm so confused about what to do for this problem... I know that I need to find K for the given conditions but I'm not quite sure how. Any help would be greatly appreciated

For each of the following sets of conditions, determine if the system is at equilibrium or not. For those not at equilibrium, state in which direction the system will shift.
It gives K as .0900 at 25 degrees Celsius for the reaction:
H2O(g) + Cl2O(g)<--> 2HOCl(g)
Then it gives several different conditions such as:
A) PH2O= 296 torr PCl2O= 15 torr PHOCl= 15 torr
B) 3.0 L flask contains .35 mol HOCl, .001 mol Cl2O and .98 mol H2O
C) 2.0 L flask contains .084 mol HOCl, .08 mol Cl2O and .98 mol H2O

Chemistry news on Phys.org
A)

I believe the reaction will be towards the products because you have too many moles of gas on the left, so the reaction will work to react these gases and increase the product.

B)

There's very little ClO2 and so the equilibrium will be shifted to make more reactants.

C)

Equilibrium.

At any instant u have Kp = Kc

so calculate K for each given conditions And see whether it is equal to given K or not

U will have it in them ur book How to calculate the K in various conditions

1. What is the significance of finding K in a scientific experiment?

Finding K, also known as the equilibrium constant, is important because it helps us understand the relative concentrations of reactants and products in a chemical reaction. It also allows us to predict the direction and extent of a reaction and determine its rate.

2. How is K calculated?

K is calculated by taking the ratio of the concentrations of products to reactants, with each concentration raised to the power of its coefficient in the balanced chemical equation. The resulting number is the value of K.

3. What factors affect the value of K?

The value of K is affected by temperature, pressure, and the initial concentrations of reactants and products. Changes in these factors can cause the value of K to change, indicating a shift in the equilibrium of the reaction.

4. Can K have a negative value?

No, K cannot have a negative value. K represents the ratio of products to reactants, so it is always a positive number. A small K value indicates that the reaction favors the reactants, while a large K value indicates that the reaction favors the products.

5. How can I use K to predict the direction of a reaction?

If the value of K is greater than 1, the reaction favors the products and will proceed in the forward direction. If the value of K is less than 1, the reaction favors the reactants and will proceed in the reverse direction. If the value of K is close to 1, the reaction is at equilibrium and the amounts of products and reactants are approximately equal.