• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

I need to find the integral of sin(ax)cos(bx), please help

• Thread starter crystal91
  • Start date

Homework Statement

how to guess the value of the integral sinax cosbx and for what values of a and b is your formula valid?

Homework Equations

used the formula 1/2[(sin A-B)+sin(A+B)]

The Attempt at a Solution

this is what i got -cos(a+b)/2(a+b)-cos(a-b)/2(a-b).after that to guess the values of a and b i am lost.
Any help would be appreciated
thanx in advance!!

Answers and Replies

VietDao29
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

how to guess the value of the integral sinax cosbx and for what values of a and b is your formula valid?

Homework Equations

used the formula 1/2[(sin A-B)+sin(A+B)]

The Attempt at a Solution

this is what i got -cos(a+b)/2(a+b)-cos(a-b)/2(a-b).after that to guess the values of a and b i am lost.
Any help would be appreciated
thanx in advance!!
I'm not pretty sure if I understand your problem correctly. But what if a = b, or a = -b? Is your work still valid? :wink:

do u mean to say set b as a in the formula sinax cos bx,so it would be sinax cosax??

VietDao29
Homework Helper

do u mean to say set b as a in the formula sinax cos bx,so it would be sinax cosax??
Yup, if [tex]a \neq \pm b[/tex], then your work is correct.

You should also consider 2 special cases where [tex]a = \pm b[/tex].

then what do i do with this formula -cos(a+b)/2(a+b)-cos(a-b)/2(a-b)?

VietDao29
Homework Helper

then what do i do with this formula -cos(a+b)/2(a+b)-cos(a-b)/2(a-b)?
What do you mean by saying 'what do i do with this formula'? Your work is valid as long as [tex]a \neq \pm b[/tex]. When a is either b, or -b, the denominator of [tex]\frac{\cos[(a - b)x]}{a - b}[/tex] (and respectively, [tex]\frac{\cos[(a + b)x]}{a + b}[/tex]) becomes 0. So it's not valid anymore. You have to consider these 2 cases separately!!

By the way, you are forgetting x, and the constant of integration '+ C' in your result.

:confused:,so i would do it like this :1/2integral sin(2ax) which would be -1/2cos(2a)*1/2 so then the answer would be -1/4acos(2a)? and forget about this -cos(a+b)/2(a+b)-cos(a-b)/2(a-b)?

VietDao29
Homework Helper

:confused:,so i would do it like this :1/2integral sin(2ax) which would be -1/2cos(2a)*1/2 so then the answer would be -1/4acos(2a)? and forget about this -cos(a+b)/2(a+b)-cos(a-b)/2(a-b)?
I suggest you look up the words: 'as long as', 'separately', and 'special cases' in the dictionary. Did you read my post above thoroughly enough??

Your work is valid IF [tex]a \neq \pm b[/tex].

When [tex]a = \pm b[/tex], it's no longer valid. And you should treat these as special cases. You have to divide into 3 cases:
  • Case 1: [tex]a \neq \pm b[/tex]
    Your work here...
  • Case 2: [tex]a = b[/tex]
    ...​
  • Case 3: [tex]a = -b[/tex]
    ...​

-----------------------

And by the way: [tex]\int \cos(ax) dx = \frac{1}{a} \sin (ax) + C[/tex] not [tex]\int \cos(ax) dx = \frac{1}{a} \sin a[/tex]