Where Can I Find Information About Lasers?

• Thread starter dilan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lasers
In summary, the conversation is about lasers and the request for information and resources on the topic. The request includes information on what lasers can do, how they are used, and the calculations involved. The conversation also discusses the level of complexity involved in understanding lasers and provides a link to a website for further information. The conversation ends with a thank you to those who provided helpful information.
dilan
Hi,
I need to know about lasers. Has anyone got any websites or links describing lasers?

Science news on Phys.org
http://www.cohr.com/" is the site of a major manufacturer.

What sort of information do you need? Do you have any specific questions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi thanks for the info

Hi, thanks for the info.
Well I need info in what lasers can do and how they are used and all the calculations involved in that.
Thnaks

Is this like a high school report?

ALL the calculations? That would take someone years... entire series of textbooks are devoted to the topic of lasers.

Even the simplest equations involving lasers are of a second-year university level, so unless you are at this level, introducing and explaining any equation is most likely a futile exercise.

A basic conceptual illustration of how lasers work should not be beyond a high-school student. Check out the Mk gave you and if there is something that needs further explaining, we should be able to help.

Claude.

Ok Mk provided me some useful information. Thanks.
Claude Bile your right we haven't got that much. I just needed to know the basic concepts and then have a little more.
Thanks a lot

1. What is a laser?

A laser is a device that produces a narrow and intense beam of light through the process of stimulated emission. It stands for "Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation".

2. How do lasers work?

Lasers work by using a source of energy, such as electricity or light, to excite the atoms or molecules in a medium (such as a gas, liquid, or solid). This excitation causes the atoms or molecules to emit photons, which then bounce back and forth between two mirrors inside the laser until they are released as a coherent beam of light through one of the mirrors.

3. What are the different types of lasers?

There are many different types of lasers, including gas lasers, solid-state lasers, and semiconductor lasers. Gas lasers use gases such as helium, neon, or carbon dioxide as the lasing medium. Solid-state lasers use a solid material, such as a crystal or glass, as the lasing medium. Semiconductor lasers use a semiconductor material, such as gallium arsenide, as the lasing medium.

4. What are lasers used for?

Lasers have a wide range of applications, including in medicine, telecommunications, and scientific research. They are used in surgeries for cutting, cauterizing, or sealing tissues. They are also used in telecommunications for transmitting information through fiber optic cables. In research, lasers are used for precise measurements, spectroscopy, and creating extreme conditions in materials.

5. Are lasers dangerous?

Laser beams can be dangerous if not used properly. They can cause eye and skin damage, and in extreme cases, can even start fires. It is important to follow safety guidelines and use appropriate protective gear when working with lasers. However, with proper precautions, lasers can be used safely in various applications.