I need to know what something's called in English

• Thread starter Compaq
  • Start date
  • Tags
    English
In summary, the conversation discusses a method for graphing quadratic equations using roots and finding intervals. The speaker is trying to determine the correct term for this method, and suggests various terms such as turning point, point of inflection, maxima, minimum points, and graphing. The conversation also mentions using MathType to format the graph, and the possibility of using an array.
Compaq
You know, we make these sorts of schemes:

_________________-1__________4__________->x

x+1- - - - - - - - - - 0------------------------

x-4- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -0------------

(x+1)(x-4)-----------0- - - - - - -0------------

What do you call this?

The reason why I want to know, is to find out how to make this in MathType^^

Physics news on Phys.org
Hrrmmm...

Last edited:
I see that you have roots
and then you make quadratic equation that has same roots

yes, but what do I call that way to decide when f(x)<0?

The numbers are random, for the purpose for my question..

Turning point?

going to calculus (and assuming that's something to do with polynomials) few other terms are
point of inflection, maxima, minimum points

Yes, thanks, but what do you call the entire form?

What do you call it in your first language?

Graphing?

it's a guitar tab. Try that

I don't know mathtype but if you want to produce something similarly formatted to what you have its most likely going to be some sort of array.

Compaq said:
You know, we make these sorts of schemes:

x+1- - - - - - - - - - 0------------------------

x-4- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 0------------

(x+1)(x-4)----------0- - - - - - -0------------

What do you call this?

The reason why I want to know, is to find out how to make this in MathType^^
It took me a while to realize that this is what he means. I would definitely call this graphing.

x+1- - - - - - - - - - 0++++++++++++++++++++

x-4- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -0++++++++++

(x+1)(x-4)++++++++0- - - - - - -0++++++++++

The number line?
Intervals?

1. What should I do if I don't know what something is called in English?

If you don't know what something is called in English, you can try looking it up in a dictionary or using a translation tool online. You can also ask a native English speaker for help.

2. How can I improve my English vocabulary to better understand and remember names of things?

To improve your English vocabulary, you can read books, articles, and other materials in English. You can also make flashcards or create a word list to review regularly. Practicing using new words in everyday conversations can also help.

3. Are there any common ways to describe something when you don't know its name in English?

Yes, there are some common ways to describe something when you don't know its name in English. You can use words like "thing", "object", "item", or "stuff". You can also use adjectives to describe the appearance, function, or purpose of the thing.

4. Is there a difference between British and American English when it comes to naming things?

Yes, there can be some differences between British and American English when it comes to naming things. For example, the British may use "lift" while Americans may use "elevator". However, these differences are not significant and both forms of English are easily understood by speakers of either variant.

5. How can I ask for the name of something in English without sounding rude or ignorant?

You can ask for the name of something in English politely by saying "Excuse me, could you tell me the name of this?" or "Pardon me, what is this called?". It's important to be polite and respectful when asking for information. Remember that it's okay to not know everything and asking for help is a sign of intelligence.