I need to learn what quaternions are

In summary, the conversation discusses quaternions and their use in tracking orientation. The group is looking for resources to learn more about the topic and one member recommends a book and several websites. The conversation also touches on the advantages of using quaternions and their applications in graphics programming. One member even offers to write a treatise on the topic.
enigma
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi all,

For a project, I need to learn what quaternions are, and how they are used and manipulated. All I've had in my classes on the subject is: "They are another way of using angles to keep track of orientation, but we won't be covering them here." Same in all my textbooks - they're mentioned in passing, but not covered.

Does anyone know of any good textbooks or online sites which cover the topic?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Good luck.
Actually, the basics aren't that hard (let me blow the cobwebs off my brain for a second).
Okay, quaternions are similar to imaginaries, BUT...
Instead of just i, you now have i,j,and k.
I think... i*j=k, j*k=i, i*k=-j (or something like that)
but the square of any of them is -1 (again, I'm almost certain, I think).
Anyway, if you look at how i*j=k, it's like multiplying vectors, since each is one unit along a different axis, the product is one unit, and you have a sort of "right-hand rule" for the orientation of the product (point the fingers of your right hand along the positive direction of one axis and curl them in the positive direction of the other axis then your thumb points in the (pos. or neg.) direction of the product). Something like that. That's probably enough to give some understanding, you'll have to find a place to verify the rules I gave, though. You could probably draw a graph and figure them out yourself. Hope this helped.
Aaron
p.s. Notice i*k=-j but k*i=j i.e. they are noncommutative!

Last edited:
Originally posted by synergy
Good luck.
Actually, the basics aren't that hard

Thanks for the primer. Unfortunately, I'm going to need to find something a bit more in-depth than that. I will be using them for orientation control on a robot with 6 degrees of freedom for motion.

The quaternions are just another way to represent rotations in 3-space -- just like Euler angles, or the axis/angle representation. The quaternions are advantageous mainly because they don't require matrix multiplication, and because they don't suffer from gimbal lock.

Graphics programmers use them somewhat frequently, so you might want to check out websites like gamasutra.com for practical tutorials.

Do sites like mathworld not provide enough information for you? Or is it too hard to digest? Given enough incentive, I could probably write up a reasonably accessible treatise on the quaternions for you.

- Warren

Thanks Warren!

That site works - I didn't know about it. I'll check the references listed at the page bottom as well.

I have this book, it is very good. I think it is just what you need.

1. What are quaternions and why do I need to learn about them?

Quaternions are a mathematical concept used to represent rotations and orientations in three-dimensional space. They are important in computer graphics and animation, as well as in physics and engineering applications.

2. How do quaternions differ from other ways of representing rotations?

Unlike other methods such as Euler angles or rotation matrices, quaternions are not prone to gimbal lock, which is a limitation in certain rotation systems that can cause unexpected behavior. Quaternions also have a more compact representation compared to other methods.

3. Are quaternions difficult to understand?

Quaternions can be challenging to grasp at first, especially for those without a strong background in mathematics. However, with practice and a solid understanding of basic linear algebra concepts, they can be mastered.

4. What are some practical applications of quaternions?

Quaternions have many real-world applications, including computer graphics for video games and animation, robotics, aerospace engineering, and navigation systems. They are also used in physics simulations and in the study of molecular structures.

5. How can I learn about quaternions?

There are many resources available for learning about quaternions, including online tutorials, textbooks, and online courses. It is important to have a strong understanding of basic linear algebra concepts before diving into quaternions. Practice and experimentation are also crucial for gaining a deep understanding of quaternions.