Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need to study

1. Jun 1, 2005 #1
    Grumble...

Exams are coming up in two weeks... and I have hardly done any studying. I really need to get going, but for some reason the stress parts of my brain fail to kick in. The weather isn't helping either, we're having the first real sunny days in months. So much distraction going on... pc, friends, movies, a political crisis or two... Speaking of distraction, anyone familiar with this series?

www.phdcomics.com

Oh well, I'll better stop babbeling and get to my stellar spectroscopy course :frown:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2005 #2
    Ahh, yes, I know the feeling... But concider that you don't have your divorce or funeral to worry about. However, you should still panic; they are in TWO god damd weeks!!! One week making a study plan, next five days executing and the last two days convincing yourself that the material you didn't cover isn't that important or that you already know it...

And concider you got me distracted for an hour, and I'm not a grad student. :grumpy: :biggrin: Great serie, thanks!

4. Jun 1, 2005 #3

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, one of my Caltech friends was all into that. Us grad students deserve our own comic for what we go through. :biggrin:

Stellar spectroscopy? You should be jazzed!...or something. Yah, drop by the astro forums if you have any questions. I know a thing or two about stars.

5. Jun 1, 2005 #4
    Good Luck Dimitry>>>If you have any QFT related questions, don't hesitate to ask them

marlon

ps do you know Ann Sophie Roose from UGent, she is a physics student there

6. Jun 1, 2005 #5

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just wait until you get into a PhD program http://hcs.science.uva.nl/projects/il/blues/ :biggrin:

Good luck with your studies, in a few weeks time you'll have all the time to enjoy life :smile:

7. Jun 1, 2005 #6
    Hi,mon
    i dont' know why i cant control myself when i see your post. i like your avatar. :blush:

8. Jun 1, 2005 #7
    It seems like you online whenever i am online right ? i dont blive in any pre-ordered by god, but i blive in how my friends feel for me, i feel it in my chest. :wink:

Btw, Good luck with yor studies Dim,
    hopefull yuor exam will not be dim.

9. Jun 1, 2005 #8

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm online searching for PhD projects and research groups I'd like to join, so I just stop in here once in a while.. the market is really bad :yuck:

10. Jun 1, 2005 #9
    monique ke uppar log fida hain!

11. Jun 1, 2005 #10

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Can you translate please? My hindi is rusty :tongue:

12. Jun 1, 2005 #11
    somewhere i spotted you talking eith someone in Hindi....and you know it very well , and you are fan of bollywood too SOmewhere u mentioned about Bachchan in amsterdam..........
    very pretty face,,it would be difficult to find even one black spot on yours face :biggrin:

13. Jun 2, 2005 #12
    Thanks for the support guys. I actually got some work done yesterday, and I'm hopeful I can get off the pc in a short while...

14. Jun 12, 2005 #13
    D'oh I've only just seen the second part of your post.
    Yes, I've been in touch with Ann-Sophie. We've been campaigning (succesfully :biggrin: !) for a two year master in physics and other sciences.

Anyway, I have my first exam tomorrow, Quantum Elektrodynamics. Here goes nothing!

Watch this space...

15. Jun 12, 2005 #14

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How long were the masters otherwise?

16. Jun 12, 2005 #15

one year.

marlon

17. Jun 12, 2005 #16

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How can you possibly achieve anything substantial in one year ?

18. Jun 12, 2005 #17

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I biology it used to be three years, they reduced it to two years (from 6 to 5 years with the bachelor included).

19. Jun 13, 2005 #18
    well, we just have bachelor/master introduced here in Belgium. Now, for physics, the bachelor is three years and the master is two years. In the past we had a 2-2 year structure, so 4 years in total to get the master-degree.

marlon

20. Jun 13, 2005 #19
    how many students reach something substantial,...,ever, prior to the phd ?
    Define substantial, please ?

marlon

21. Jun 13, 2005 #20

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

By 'substantial', I mean : go through graduate level courses in QM, E&M, Stat Mech and Class Mech, some advanced coursework in branch of specialization and complete a research project.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?