Flow Rate & Velocity of Air Through Orifice @ 130 psi

In summary: This formula is simple and can be fine-tuned through trial and error to get usable numbers for your application.In summary, the Bernoulli equation can be used to determine the flow rate and velocity of air through an orifice at a given pressure differential. The formula is V2 = P1 - P2 + (2*rho*g*h) / (rho * A), and it can be simplified to V2 = 130 / A using the given variables. This formula can be fine-tuned through trial and error for practical use in determining CFM requirements and accurately sizing orifices for a given job.
intuit
I have been searching for formulas to determine the flow rate and velocity of air through an orifice at a given pressure differential. I need to know the flow rate to determine the CFM requirements of the compressor. And I need to determine the velocity to be able to accurately size the orifice for the job intended. I have found different formulas. Some more elegant than others. I need simple formulas to get a usable numbers. The application can be fine-tuned by trial and error. The variables used should be as follows:

V = Velocity in feet/sec
C = Orifice Coefficient = .95
P = Pressure differential = 130psi (150psi being released into 30psi)
A = Orifice area in inches squared = The orifice sizes will be in the range of .055" to .157" Diameter.
T = Air temperature = 70 degrees F.

I don't need an elegant formula, but if other variables are needed, use:
W = Mass of Air = Assuming .075 lbs/ft
Atmospheric Pressure will not be a factor in this application

Physics news on Phys.org
.The formula you are looking for is the Bernoulli equation, which relates the flow rate and velocity of a fluid to its pressure and density. This equation can be used to calculate the flow rate and velocity of air through an orifice at a given pressure differential. The equation is as follows: V2 = P1 - P2 + (2*rho*g*h) / (rho * A)Where:V2 = Velocity of Air through the Orifice in ft/sP1 = Initial Pressure in psiP2 = Final Pressure in psi rho = Density of Air in lb/ft3g = Acceleration due to Gravity (32.2 ft/s2) h = Height of the Orifice in ft A = Area of the Orifice in in2Given the information you provided, we can solve for V2 as follows: V2 = 130 + (2*(0.075)*(32.2)*(0)) / (0.075 * A)V2 = 130 + (1.44 * 0) / A V2 = 130 / A If you have the area of the orifice (A), you can plug it in and solve for V2.

1. What is flow rate and velocity of air through an orifice at 130 psi?

The flow rate and velocity of air through an orifice at 130 psi refers to the amount of air that passes through a small opening, known as an orifice, at a pressure of 130 pounds per square inch (psi).

2. How is flow rate and velocity of air through an orifice at 130 psi measured?

Flow rate and velocity of air through an orifice at 130 psi can be measured using a flow meter, which calculates the amount of air passing through the orifice in a given time interval.

3. What factors affect the flow rate and velocity of air through an orifice at 130 psi?

The flow rate and velocity of air through an orifice at 130 psi can be affected by the size and shape of the orifice, the pressure of the air, and the properties of the fluid (such as viscosity and density).

4. How does the flow rate and velocity of air through an orifice at 130 psi impact air flow in a system?

The flow rate and velocity of air through an orifice at 130 psi can impact the overall air flow in a system by determining the amount and speed of air passing through the orifice.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding flow rate and velocity of air through an orifice at 130 psi?

Understanding flow rate and velocity of air through an orifice at 130 psi is important in industries such as HVAC, pneumatic systems, and combustion processes, where accurate air flow control is crucial for efficient and safe operations.