Help Needed With MCNP Variance Reduction Techniques

• Thread starter Neo Tran
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mcnp
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of variance reduction techniques in Monte Carlo simulations, specifically the PHYS:N, PHYS:P, and cutoff cards. These cards allow for the specification of detailed or simple physics treatment and the termination of simulations after a certain number of histories. Additional resources were provided for further understanding of the PHYS:P card.
Neo Tran
I don't understand about variance reduction technique. Some one explain PHYS:N, PHYS:P and cutoff. when do I use them?
Thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Thank you very much. It is easy to understand.
If I have a point isotropic source into a Cone of Directions with angle 30 degree. How to specify SIn, SPn and special SBn card. And if possible, please explain more explicit SBn card. Thanks a lot.

What version of MCNP is one using?
neohohoho said:
I don't understand about variance reduction technique. Some one explain PHYS:N, PHYS:P and cutoff. when do I use them?
Thank you!
Here is an appendix to a thesis with some discussion of PHYS:P

The energy physics cutoff card defines the simple or detailed physics treatment in photon interaction. It has a form,
PHYS:P EMCPF IDES NOCOH
where EMCPF is upper energy limit (in MeV) for detailed photon physics treatment, IDES determines whether photons will produce electrons in MODE E problems or bremsstrahlung photons with the thick target bremsstrahlung model, and NOCOH controls whether coherent scattering occurs or not. For example, PHYS:P 0.2 0 0, tells that Photons with energy greater than 200 keV will be tracked using the simple physics treatment, photons will produce electrons in MODE E problems or bremsstrahlung photons with the thick target bremsstrahlung model, and coherent scattering is considered.

The history cutoff (NPS) card is one type of problem cutoff card used in the simulation. It terminates the Monte Carlo calculations after N histories have been computed.

https://theses.lib.vt.edu/theses/available/etd-07252000-10110036/unrestricted/14Appendix.pdf

Last edited:

1. What is MCNP and why is it used in variance reduction techniques?

MCNP (Monte Carlo N-Particle) is a computer code used for simulating interactions of particles with matter. It is widely used in nuclear engineering, radiation protection, and medical physics. MCNP is used in variance reduction techniques because it allows for precise and accurate calculations of particle interactions, which is crucial for reducing the statistical uncertainties in simulations.

2. What are the main types of variance reduction techniques used in MCNP?

The main types of variance reduction techniques used in MCNP are importance sampling, Russian roulette, splitting and Russian roulette, and forced collisions. These techniques aim to increase the number of important particle interactions while reducing the number of insignificant interactions, thereby reducing the statistical uncertainty in the simulation results.

3. How do I determine which variance reduction technique is best for my simulation?

The choice of variance reduction technique depends on various factors such as the type of particles being simulated, the geometry of the system, and the desired level of accuracy. It is best to consult with experts in MCNP and perform sensitivity analyses to determine the most appropriate technique for your specific simulation.

4. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using variance reduction techniques in MCNP?

While variance reduction techniques can greatly improve the efficiency and accuracy of MCNP simulations, they can also introduce bias in the results if not used appropriately. Additionally, some techniques may require more computational resources and expertise to implement. It is essential to carefully validate and verify the results obtained with variance reduction techniques.

5. Are there any other software packages or codes that can be used for variance reduction in particle transport simulations?

Yes, there are other software packages and codes available for variance reduction in particle transport simulations, such as GEANT4, FLUKA, and PHITS. Each code has its own strengths and limitations, and the choice of code depends on the specific requirements of the simulation. It is recommended to consult with experts in the field and perform benchmarking studies before selecting a code for variance reduction.