Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need your help!

1. May 13, 2006 #1
    I need your help someone! I have a VERY serious problem.......

I was supposed to take my statistics exam today at 8am. But my teacher said in class that we could take the exam on tuesday if we were in the electronics class, which has the exam on the same day, (today, saturday).

He sent out this email on thursday

Ok, so I send him this email thursday night at 12:00 p.m. knowing that it would get to his inbox and he could reply first thing in the morning tomorrow.

Ok, so friday comes along. I wait......................I wait....................I wait.................NO RESPONSE. I am like this guy should have responded by now. He should have checked his email early in the morining and gave me a thumbs up or thumbs down.

So I take my electronics exam today (saturday) and my friend tells me, oh by the way did you get professor b's email? I'm like no, what email? Oh, he sent out an email for the exam. I said, well, I already sent him an email asking to take the makeup, and I did not think twice about it.

Take the electronics exam, bomb it, come home and check my email. Look what I find. (3) emails in my inbox from friday NIGHT. LOOK AT THE TIMESTAMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then he sends this one:

And then he sends this email:

HE SENT THIS THE DAY BEFORE THE EXAM AT 8:00 PM AND WANTED A REPLY BEFORE 12!!!?!!?

So when I got home and opened my email today, I nearly took a S*** in my pants; because, in effect, I now have a ZERO on my final exam and I will have an end grade of 71%, w/o the final grade. I had a 93% in the class w/o including the final exam grade.

I EVEN WENT TO HIS OFFICE ON THURSDAY EVENING AND ASKED HIM IN PERSON TO TAKE THE EXAM TUESDAY!!!!!! I specifically TOLD him, is it possible to take the test earlier if I feel ready, even though I should take it thursday. He said sure thats fine. I AM THE REASON HE SENT OUT THAT FIRST EMAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I AM ABOUT TO EITHER (1) KILL SOMEBODY or (2) PASS OUT

GODDDDDDDDDD DAMMMMMMMMMMMMMNIT I AM ANGRY!!!!

If he says no to taking the exam, I am going to go to the Dean, but I know that it will be out of the Dean's hands........

F******************************K!

You're a teacher moonbear, I need your advice on what to do if he says no.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2006 #2

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

Wow, sorry for that. I guess it's definetly a bad situation. Anyway, keep your cool. I've been to similar situations, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose...

Last edited: May 13, 2006
  4. May 13, 2006 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Send him an email explaining the situation, just as you did here (leaving out the expletives, perhaps). You should also remind him that you were the student who met him in his office about this. Also, is there anything you can show him as proof that you had an electronics exam today ? Unless he is totally @n@!, I imagine he'll let you take the exam on tuesday...assuming there's no procedural roadblocks which need clearance from a higher power.

In any case, I would think you should send him the email kinda soon. If there's red tape that needs to be cut, monday is the only day to cut it.

5. May 13, 2006 #4
    I can't quite followed it.

You visited him on Thursday evening, and you say that you're the reason he sent out the first email, but the date on his thursday's email seems to be 15:55 or 3:55p.m afternoon.
    It's of no importance to me. I just want to make sure,

Then he sent some another email 2.32 hours ago/today, so you still had 4 hours until 12:00. Isn't that enough to get him a reply?

Cyrus, you still have time. Send him a good, acceptable reason back, and everything is going to be fine. Anyway, If I were him, I also wouldn't accept emails without reasons.

I think, I know what you feel. I had a couple of similar situations, but I tried to explain myself, give reasons, and everything was alright.

From what I see, your professor/teacher looks like a nice guy, so send him a good reason and explanation, and forget about pain and worries.

6. May 13, 2006 #5

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Cyrus, your first email to him was not as detailed as it should've been. It is possible he didn't remember your face to face meeting, so just to cover your bases, you should've stated the reason (EE exam Sat) in the first email rather than just saying "hey, I'm taking it Tuesday". I get the feeling he thinks some students are trying to take advantage of his flexibility to get more time to prepare for the exam or try and cheat by asking their friends about the questions that were asked on the Sat exam.

I think there's still time to show your sincerity, go see him again with documentary evidence of sitting for the EE exam on Tuesday (like a timetable) and explain matters. This is just a minor misunderstanding, you still have time, but you must act fast. :smile:

7. May 13, 2006 #6
    I already sent him an email today, and did what you all said the moment I read his email. I saw his email and said WTF IS THIS!? because I was checking my email until around 7:30, then I figured this guy isint going to respond at all to my request.

This guy's syllabus has the wrong book in it, and says to read the chapters from a book that we are not using, and is dated from last semester. His syllabus has a section on academic integrity that says "The Code of Academic Integrity found in the 1999-99 Undergraduate Catalog will be upheld." MAN WHAT A F***** joke...........

This is TOTALLY UNPROFESSIONAL and UNACCEPTABLE :mad: :mad: :mad:

8. May 13, 2006 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I agree with this approach. Explain you did not get his email on Friday night...either because you were busy studying for the EE exam, or had already gone to sleep to be rested for the EE exam...whichever is applicable.

As long as you have the first email, and proof you took the EE exam, even if he tries to give you a hard time about it, you'll be able to fight it. No matter what goes on between now and Tuesday, show up Tuesday for the make-up and take it (yes, try to explain your reasoning so it's all smoothed over before then, but even if he tells you it's too late, show up anyway). You can always fight over whether it gets graded or counted after the fact, but make sure you take it. It's not reasonable to give you only 4 hours to reply to an email, especially one sent the night before an exam. If he gives you a hard time over that, tell him he should have a read receipt for the email that will show you didn't even get it until Saturday...and if he doesn't use read receipts, then he has no proof you ever received it. (But be really nice about how you say that!) I know of cases where students appealed for make-up exams for far flimsier reasons and had it hold up.

What does the course syllabus say about make-up exams?

9. May 13, 2006 #8
    That's a damn good question. I wonder how many YEARS old that policy is in his syllabus?

The underlined part is a link, that does not work.... go figure. :rolleyes:

10. May 13, 2006 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Good news kiddo! If that's all the syllabus says on the matter (well, see if you can get an ancient copy of the catalog with that version of the code, just in case), then his syllabus is far too lacking to hold anything against you. Unless it says something very specifically about NO make-up exams without permission (in which case, until you receive a reply granting permission, you have to assume you're taking the exam at the usual time regardless of whether you sent an email requesting permission), there is nothing that would supercede that email he sent offering make-up exams to anyone taking the EE test. Like I said, show up no matter what and take it. As long as it's taken, you can appeal later if he refuses to grade it.

11. May 13, 2006 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, I think a truly exceptional circumstance is the professor telling you that you can take a make-up if you have another exam the same day. Informing you the night before that he has changed the rules of the game is not even reasonable, because there's a world of difference between expecting to study for an exam on Tuesday AFTER you take your Saturday exam vs studying to take both exams on Saturday, especially if you are not told until 8 pm the day before (even if you HAD gotten his email) that the exception no longer applies. Save all the emails. The worst thing that will happen is you'll have to appeal to the dean and go through a bunch of hassle to get the grade counted, but if a student came to me with what you've explained here, I'd side with the student on this one.

12. May 13, 2006 #11

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If the worst happens and he doesn't reply (and you can't find him in school on monday), send him another email that you would still be showing up to take the exam on Tuesday.

If he shows up on tuesday with only 9 copies of the exam paper, he'd better have a good reason for doing that if you've informed him that you intend to show up, no matter what.

Also, do you know if you're the only one not on that list of 9 names that had the EE exam on Saturday ? If there's more of you in the same boat, it'll be harder for him to be harsh.

13. May 13, 2006 #12
    This class was a disaster from day 1.

SIGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH........

this is a loose loose situation.

(1) he lets me take the exam and I pass the class (But I did not learn JACK-S in that class, it was TERRIBLE)

(2) I fail with a C, and have to retake it with him AGAIN, because hes the ONLY prof teaching it.

<SMACKING MYSELF IN THE FOREHEAD>

Here is the thing Gokul, if the TA gives the exam, I am SOL. That guy is a total ASS, he WONT let me take the exam. I DO NOT like that TA.

The last quiz that TA wrote had 4 numerical mistakes in it. I spent a good half an hour on that quiz trying to figure out why the hell the numbers were not working out.

14. May 13, 2006 #13
    uhhhhhhhhhhh, add insult to injury.

Are you JOKING ME..............:rolleyes:

15. May 13, 2006 #14

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

Cyrus, relax do as others said, and hope for the best. That's all you can do for now.

16. May 13, 2006 #15

dav2008

Gold Member

yep blame the other guy

it's easier that way

17. May 13, 2006 #16

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Sounds like an e-mail glitch where the e-mails weren't forwarded. You should be able to reason with him.

<hugs cyrus>

18. May 13, 2006 #17
    I don't see why you're wasting your time with this. You have legit proof of your Saturday test. That's all that matters. Go show him your syllabus.

19. May 13, 2006 #18

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Cyrus, don't take this the wrong way, but hysterics and histrionics aren't going to accomplish anything now. Just keep things simple, approach him, show him the TT and take the damn make up exam.

You obviously have a lot of personal animus against the guy, and whether it's justified or not I don't know. I do know that, in this case, it's irrelevant to your approach to the situation. If he refuses to let you take the exam, you have an excellent case for a complaint, but that's ONLY if you've done everything humanly possible to straighten this out, instead of typing complaints on an internet forum.

I have your best interests at heart, so don't take this as a flame, I just don't want to see you screw up this course because of personal issues with him. Even if he's not being professional as a teacher, you be professional as a student, and things will work out for the best.

20. May 13, 2006 #19
    Oh, don't worry, my response to him was NOTHING like this thread. I explained to him that I did not get his email until today, and that we had already discussed taking the final on tuesday when I was in his office with him.

I left him a message on his office phone too, just in case there was an off chance he might be in his office on a saturday.

Don't get me wrong, he is a nice guy, but he is not professional as a teacher. Being unprepared is inexcusable.

If he says no, I am going to be up s-creek. Because now I have to go fight to get my final accepted while in the middle of all my other finals, that's just what I need right now....

21. May 13, 2006 #20
    My brother had a similar problem with his English teacher a few years ago. He was seriously sick before and during the final, emailed the teacher about it and even got a doctor's note. He didn't show up for the exam, so the teacher failed him. He went through appeal after appeal, wrote letters, provided documentation, all to no avail. The teacher was a rule nazi and unforunately, the school board said it was up to her on what to do. After about a year of this, he finally gave up. Granted, he didn't try to get in contact with her until the weekend before, so maybe you'll have better luck.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?