Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I nominate these people for the Darwin award

1. Aug 16, 2005 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,165950,00.html

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2005 #2
    Sounds like a fun game.

"Hey man, I have an idea!"
    "Whats that?"
    "Choke me until no air is getting in or out of my lungs and I turn blue and go limp. Then try waking me up!"
    "WOW! Why didn't I think of that? But you have to promise to choke me after I wake you up ok?"
    "Deal. WAIT! Why don't we use a bike lock so that we can both do it at the same time!"
    "AWESOME! Hopefully your mom wakes us up for dinner."

I don't know about you guys but I know what I'm doing tomorrow! :eek: :eek:

4. Aug 16, 2005 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Me too! How exciting!

*grabs some rope* This'll be the funnest time ive ever had. No wonder people were always being hung in the West! They were smart

5. Aug 16, 2005 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wait, that was in Kansas; they don't believe in Darwin there. :uhh: That seems to explain a lot, doesn't it?

6. Aug 16, 2005 #5
    And the Kansas people didn't belive in natural selection...

edit: Moonbear beat me to it by ten seconds. :grumpy: :cry:

7. Aug 16, 2005 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Well they can't even survive their own body parts... if they didnt sufficate, im sure a parked car was goign to do it soon enough.

8. Aug 16, 2005 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Wait, the father said ""She had a history of playing this game," AND HE WAS OK WITH THAT?????? He didn't do anything about her mental problem? And he hasn't been arrested for neglect? She was 15.

"Tim Wilson said his daughter did not commit suicide. He said the family has reason to believe Kimberly had played the choking game for at least a year, maybe two.

"She had a history of playing this game," Wilson said. "Her death was accidental."

What is this world coming to? :confused: Why haven't the parents been arrested for negligent homicide?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2005
  9. Aug 16, 2005 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's like those kids who were jumping between a gap on a parking garage (or maybe it was between two parking garages...can't recall) and died when they fell, and the parents wanted to sue the owner of the garage for not putting up high enough fencing around the garage. The kids didn't just fall over the edge, they climbed up and jumped! Why were kids allowed to play in a parking garage in the first place?

10. Aug 16, 2005 #9

Pengwuino

Gold Member

We need less kids in this world. Im worried that some kid might smash his head with my car to get high and ill get sued :(

11. Aug 16, 2005 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You know, that's not entirely consistent with what they said at the beginning of the article:
    So, did they or didn't they know this was going on? You'd think choking herself would show up as pretty visible, telltale bruising around her neck if she was doing this for a long time.

12. Aug 16, 2005 #11

Evo

Sounds like we need less parents of the kids.

13. Aug 16, 2005 #12

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Yah that'll solve 2 problems. No stupid parents, and no stupid kids. I think these people are the ultimate argument for abortions

14. Aug 16, 2005 #13

Evo

Good catch, these people seem to be lying through their teeth.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2005
  15. Aug 16, 2005 #14

Pengwuino

Gold Member

ha, if your able to detect alcohol on your kids breath, I think you should be able to detect your kid choking themselves on purpose...

16. Aug 16, 2005 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can't be certain if they are or not. It's possible they only found out after she died that she had been doing it so long, such as through friends or classmates of hers. But, they still had to be lousy parents to have been that oblivious of such behavior or just to have raised a kid who doesn't have the sense not to choke herself. :confused:

17. Aug 16, 2005 #16
    I was under the impression that what they meant was that they didn't know at the time, but they now figure she was doing it for about a year without their knowledge. But I'm too lazy to read it again, you tell me.

18. Aug 16, 2005 #17

Pengwuino

Gold Member

How would they have known how long she had been doing it? Maybe they asked a friend about it after.

19. Aug 16, 2005 #18
    Well after all those years of choking she probably had some brain damage from oxygen starvation, and then the pain receptors were all gone you know... I remember the days whe choking myself HURT! Kids these day's have to guts. Little punks.

20. Aug 16, 2005 #19

Evo

Sometimes things are quoted out of context, but I can't imagine a parent not being horrified to learn that their 15 year old had been doing this since they were 13. He didn't seem to be suprised at all. I live near these people, BTW.

21. Aug 16, 2005 #20
    This is unrelated to the death of a boy from autoerotic asphyxiation? I wasn't aware that people choked themselves without also trying to achieve orgasm.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?